Old 25-09-2006, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pond Q

Fish feeding.
Am I right in thinking that fish won't feed in the dark? I'm rapidly
approaching the time of year when I leave for work in the dark, and arrive
home from work in the dark. This presents a feeding problem. Thoughts??

--
ßôyþëtë

Old 25-09-2006, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"BoyPete" wrote in message
Fish feeding.
Am I right in thinking that fish won't feed in the dark? I'm rapidly
approaching the time of year when I leave for work in the dark, and arrive
home from work in the dark. This presents a feeding problem. Thoughts??

--
ßôyþëtë

I have never heard that one before.
What about night fishing?

Keith

Old 25-09-2006, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Keith Kent wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote in message
Fish feeding.
Am I right in thinking that fish won't feed in the dark? I'm rapidly
approaching the time of year when I leave for work in the dark, and
arrive home from work in the dark. This presents a feeding problem.
Thoughts?? --
ßôyþëtë

I have never heard that one before.
What about night fishing?

Keith

Funny you should say that, someone in another group has replied with the
same comment.
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 25-09-2006, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 20:09:54 GMT, "Keith Kent"
wrote and included this (or some of this):

"BoyPete" wrote in message
Fish feeding.
Am I right in thinking that fish won't feed in the dark? I'm rapidly
approaching the time of year when I leave for work in the dark, and arrive
home from work in the dark. This presents a feeding problem. Thoughts??

--
ßôyþëtë

I have never heard that one before.
What about night fishing?

Carp feed mostly at night.

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³
Old 25-09-2006, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , BoyPete
writes
Fish feeding.
Am I right in thinking that fish won't feed in the dark? I'm rapidly
approaching the time of year when I leave for work in the dark, and arrive
home from work in the dark. This presents a feeding problem. Thoughts??

I sometimes feed mine in the dark and they eat it. If they are Koi, you
should be thinking of switching over to a wheatgerm food for the winter
before long. (surely it will get cooler very soon?
--
June Hughes

Old 25-09-2006, 11:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"BoyPete" wrote ...
Fish feeding.
Am I right in thinking that fish won't feed in the dark? I'm rapidly
approaching the time of year when I leave for work in the dark, and arrive
home from work in the dark. This presents a feeding problem. Thoughts??

If I'm awake I can hear my fish clooping (a loud sharp sucking noise) all
night long especially if it's warmish and there is a bit of moon about, so
yes they do feed at night. However when the water temperature gets down
towards 50°F they virtually stop feeding no matter what the light is like.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 26-09-2006, 05:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

June Hughes wrote:
In message , BoyPete
writes
Fish feeding.
Am I right in thinking that fish won't feed in the dark? I'm rapidly
approaching the time of year when I leave for work in the dark, and
arrive home from work in the dark. This presents a feeding problem.
Thoughts??

I sometimes feed mine in the dark and they eat it. If they are Koi,
you should be thinking of switching over to a wheatgerm food for the
winter before long. (surely it will get cooler very soon?

I've just ordered some, but water temp is still 68 deg atm!
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 26-09-2006, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Uncle Marvo wrote:
this in , I, Marvo, say :

In message , BoyPete
writes
Fish feeding.
Am I right in thinking that fish won't feed in the dark? I'm
rapidly approaching the time of year when I leave for work in the
dark, and arrive home from work in the dark. This presents a
feeding problem. Thoughts??

I sometimes feed mine in the dark and they eat it. If they are Koi,
you should be thinking of switching over to a wheatgerm food for the
winter before long. (surely it will get cooler very soon?

I agree. Wheatgerm (contained in wheatfeed, a by-product of the flour
industry) is generally available in two basic forms, one is meal
(unprocessed) and one is pelletised. The former, sadly, doesn't
contain very much germ because it is becoming so expensive that the
industry gleans it from the process before it hits the wheatfeed
lines. Some of the older mills still put it in the pellets but also
they mix it with molasses, which gets the cows hooked, but the
trouble with molasses is that a spoonful will remove the oxygen from
your pond.
However, if you have a problem getting hold of wheatgerm, email me
and I'll arrange for a big bag (tm) of it to find its way to your
door :-)
This is all true, BTW, unlike many of my other posts.

I've ordered 'Nishikoi' wheatgerm pellets from Bradshaws. Thanks for your
kind offer though
--
ßôyþëtë