Old 26-09-2006, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan McKenzie Alan McKenzie is offline

Default double digging

have recently acquired a new allotment = see prevous posts.
have decided that double digging and the non use of chemicals was more
appropriate to my needs.
I'm not rushing things but intend to plant a few over winter onions, well
200, in a weeks time and leave the rest of planting for next spring.

However have dug my spit deep trench across the first bed, about 18 inches
wide BUT on attempting to fork over the bottom of my trench - no joy at all
cannot get a fork or spade into it - it is solid!
Any ideas guys please or am I being too pedantic in my prepartion. Think my
soil is mainly clay!

cheers

Alan