Old 26-09-2006, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default double digging

have recently acquired a new allotment = see prevous posts.
have decided that double digging and the non use of chemicals was more
appropriate to my needs.
I'm not rushing things but intend to plant a few over winter onions, well
200, in a weeks time and leave the rest of planting for next spring.

However have dug my spit deep trench across the first bed, about 18 inches
wide BUT on attempting to fork over the bottom of my trench - no joy at all
cannot get a fork or spade into it - it is solid!
Any ideas guys please or am I being too pedantic in my prepartion. Think my
soil is mainly clay!

cheers

Alan

Old 26-09-2006, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Alan McKenzie" writes:

| However have dug my spit deep trench across the first bed, about 18 inches
| wide BUT on attempting to fork over the bottom of my trench - no joy at all
| cannot get a fork or spade into it - it is solid!
| Any ideas guys please or am I being too pedantic in my prepartion. Think my
| soil is mainly clay!

The fact that you can't get into it indicates how badly it needs breaking
up. You don't want to do traditional double digging, because you don't
really want that on top, but you do need to loosen it.

What you need is a grub-axe (pick-mattock). Not the flimsy junk sold
in garden centres, but a proper agricultural tool. Failing that, a
straight pick-axe would do - but, whatever, a solid and heavy item.
The weight actually helps with such work.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-09-2006, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan McKenzie"

Snip

However have dug my spit deep trench across the first bed, about 18 inches
wide BUT on attempting to fork over the bottom of my trench - no joy at
all cannot get a fork or spade into it - it is solid!
Any ideas guys please or am I being too pedantic in my prepartion. Think
my soil is mainly clay!

The RHS Encylopedia of Gardening says that double digging should be carried
out if the ground has not been previously cultivated or drainage needs to be
improved.

I suggest that before you give youself a hernia or backache for years you
ask other allotment holders what the topsoil is like in winter: i.e is it
dryish or swampy or what?

Bear in mind that it's been a very dry year (Was it for you?) so the
subsoil is very dry and it's not surprising it is like concrete.

Has your allotment been used before? Have you checked the Ph?

Just think about a level double dug allotment with the second spit of clay..
There would be in effect, a sort of subsoil "pond" which will soon fill and
drainage would then be back to what it was before digging. So much for
improved drainage for beneath the second spit is clay!.

If the top-soil has a high proportion of clay I think you would be far
better off to get loads of farmyard manure and after breaking the subsoil a
bit (if possible) half fill the trench you have before backfilling and
starting the next. That would assist drainage and retain moisture - who
needs a subsoil "pond"?

If I was doing it I'd not bother with double digging if the sub-soil is as
hard as you say.

You could always have a small gravel board raised bed for exotics or a few
deep rooted plants I suppose.

200 onions? You wont have any friends left!!

Lionel

Old 26-09-2006, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I too have recently acquired an allotment. I recommend this book:

The Allotment Book (Hardcover) by Andi Clevely

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Allotment-Bo.../dp/000720759X

A wonderfully illustrated celebration of the blood, sweat and joy to be had
'growing your own' in an allotment - with the in-depth, practical gardening
know-how Collins is renowned for. No longer considered the preserve of old
men in sheds, allotment gardening is currently enjoying a renaissance of
interest. People of all ages and from all walks of life are digging their
own plots in search of the ultimate in fresh, organic produce - and you
cannot get more locally-sourced than your own allotment! This book testifies
to the new vibrancy of allotment culture, aiming both to inspire the next
generation of plot-holders and to provide all the practical knowledge needed
to turn a patch of soil into a lifelong adventure. Open to all the new
eco-gardening techniques, and the various weird and wonderful ways people
make use of their plots, contents include: the history of allotments - from
19th century origins, through wartime 'Dig for Victory', to the cosmopolitan
communities of today; features photos and interviews with current
plot-holders; planning your perfect allotment - finding it, assessing it,
clearing the ground and working out what to grow the brown stuff - all you
need to know about soil management. It also features the key to growing
success choosing a gardening method - organic, biodynamic, rotation beds,
companion planting, greenhouse, multi-level, potager, cottage garden, and so
on. The hard stuff - constructing sheds, compost bins, cold frames, fruit
cages, ponds, seating and play areas selecting crops - what and how to grow,
from parsnips and peas to chilli peppers and lemon grass cultivation
techniques - digging, sowing, feeding, weeding and harvesting, plus
troubleshooting pests and diseases the allotment calendar - extensive,
month-by-month look at what's in season, jobs for now and looking ahead.

Customer Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Write an online review and share your thoughts with other customers.

7 of 7 people found the following review helpful:

Time to get your wellies on.., 1 Sep 2006
Reviewer: Ms. H. R. Gibbon "Cumbrian Lass" (Cumbria) - See all
my reviews

I have always wanted to grow my own, but I've never had the confidence
to go for it.

This book gives you detailed tables of sowing and planting times,
seasonal guides,advice on sellecting what to grow and even the odd recipe
too. It is written in a clear and concise fashion, with lots of helpfull
(and pretty) photographs.
I particularly like the seasonal guides as they have "Sow Now; Plant
Now; In Season Now" in one quick reference column at the start of the
"chapter".

It answers every question that a virgin allotment holder could ask. I
would highly recommend it.

Was this review helpful to you? (Report this) (Report this)

7 of 7 people found the following review helpful:

Complete idiots guide for the uninitiated, 10 Aug 2006
Reviewer: K. James (Cambridgeshire) - See all my reviews

I have always wanted to have a go at growing my own veg but quite
frankly did not know where to start. I needed a book that would spell out
the basics, give me pictures and provide a detailed calendar showing when I
should be doing what.
This book is perfect. It is well written, the directions are clear and
the pictures informative. It is already well thumbed and next year I will be
better! Congratulations to the author.

Was this review helpful to you? (Report this) (Report this)

24 of 24 people found the following review helpful:

a great book for all gardeners, 12 Jul 2006
Reviewer: I. M. Foreman (Coal Hill, London, UK) - See all my
reviews
I've had an allotment for years and got this book as a present but
I've never put it on the shelf since. Andi Clevely is a great read and the
book is laid out so well I can dip into it so easily to find the right
information. It has definitely inspired me to try some crops which I haven't
grown before, like aubergine and chillies. The calendar section is
partciularly useful for its 'last chance to sow' and 'planning ahead'
features, and has some useful recipes. I would recommend this book for
allotmenters new and old, as well as kitchen gardeners.

Was this review helpful to you? (Report this)

--
I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

Baal

http://www.helden.org.uk

Old 27-09-2006, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

200 onions? You wont have any friends left!!

Lionel

It's all my friends who would like some lol

Old 28-09-2006, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

Snip

Before filling in each trench with the topsoil from the next,, spread
the bottom with as much biodegradable material as you can lay hands on.

Snip
This material could be , . . Snip . . . feathers from old pillows and
duvets,

Snip

Can you imagine doing that when the wind's blowing a hoolie!!!? Beside,
who's got feather pillows and duvets these days?

Lionel

Old 28-09-2006, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
The polyester filled type which I find very hot and heavyweight, too. And
foam pillows which osteopaths and chiropractors love because they're so bad
for your neck. ;-)

Oh err! Can you bring your own duvet and pillows then. I have feather
and down but because Fiona and Ben are allergic to them, we have to have
polywhatsit on their beds when they visit.
--
Judith Lea

Old 28-09-2006, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/9/06 16:02, in article , "Judith
Lea" wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
The polyester filled type which I find very hot and heavyweight, too. And
foam pillows which osteopaths and chiropractors love because they're so bad
for your neck. ;-)

Oh err! Can you bring your own duvet and pillows then. I have feather
and down but because Fiona and Ben are allergic to them, we have to have
polywhatsit on their beds when they visit.

I think we can manage for a night or two! We keep some of the polyester
pillows and one duvet because we have an American friend who is allergic,
too. I have to remember to make sure those are used when she comes or the
poor thing is in misery. My problem is where to store all the darned things
when they are NOT being used. No house ever has enough cupboards, mutter,
mutter, moan..!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 28-09-2006, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet Baraclough writes:

| We do (top of the range 100% goose down). Even our camping sleeping
| bags, are pure duck down.Our sofa cushions are also feather-filled (more
| comfortable than synthetic). Cheaper feather or feather/down filled
| duvets and pillows can be bought in any chain store that sells bedding.

I bought a synthetic one for camping in Scotland. The problem with
down is that it gets damp very easily; after the third night with no
letup in the rain, a down bag starts to get chilly.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679
Old 28-09-2006, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

It amazes me how talk about double digging can veer around to duvets!
However my last post on a new allotment clearing ended up talking about
fresh milk from the cow - so I shouldn't be suprised!
Still a very enjoyable newsgroup

Old 28-09-2006, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

g'day alan,

sounds like a lot of back breaking work to me mate?

wouldn't raised beds work just as well?

that way you leave the original soil structure intact.

we have pics and ideas on our page.

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 17:56:00 GMT, "Alan McKenzie"
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len