Old 27-09-2006, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Late Sowing Lawn Seed

On 27/9/06 12:12, in article ,
"Derek Banks" wrote:

My lawn has recovered remarkably well from the brown bare state it was in
some two or three months ago. But there are a lot of dead patches that
have not regrown,

I have grass seed but wonder whether late Sept early October is too late to
reseed.

It should be okay because the soil is still warm. But to give things a
kickstart, try my husband's patent method! He mixes as much grass seed as
he needs with compost, putting the mix into a wheelbarrow and turning it
over well with a spade or shovel. Dampen slightly. Then put it back into
an empty compost bag, fold the top over lightly and leave for a few days.
Once it's germinated, he sows it wherever needed and usually covers it with
a piece of horticultural fleece held down at the corners by some stones.
This gets it off to a quicker start, keeps warmth in but keeps birds &
people's feet away! Works every time.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk