Old 27-09-2006, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Late Sowing Lawn Seed

My lawn has recovered remarkably well from the brown bare state it was in
some two or three months ago. But there are a lot of dead patches that
have not regrown,

I have grass seed but wonder whether late Sept early October is too late to
reseed.

Derek Banks

Old 27-09-2006, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/9/06 12:12, in article ,
"Derek Banks" wrote:

My lawn has recovered remarkably well from the brown bare state it was in
some two or three months ago. But there are a lot of dead patches that
have not regrown,

I have grass seed but wonder whether late Sept early October is too late to
reseed.

It should be okay because the soil is still warm. But to give things a
kickstart, try my husband's patent method! He mixes as much grass seed as
he needs with compost, putting the mix into a wheelbarrow and turning it
over well with a spade or shovel. Dampen slightly. Then put it back into
an empty compost bag, fold the top over lightly and leave for a few days.
Once it's germinated, he sows it wherever needed and usually covers it with
a piece of horticultural fleece held down at the corners by some stones.
This gets it off to a quicker start, keeps warmth in but keeps birds &
people's feet away! Works every time.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 27-09-2006, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Derek Banks" wrote in message
My lawn has recovered remarkably well from the brown bare state it was in
some two or three months ago. But there are a lot of dead patches that
have not regrown,

I have grass seed but wonder whether late Sept early October is too late
to reseed.

Derek Banks

Best time to do it, plenty of rain and it should germinate and it will give
it a good start for next spring.

So you get two bites at it.

Harry

Old 27-09-2006, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Derek Banks wrote:
My lawn has recovered remarkably well from the brown bare state it was in
some two or three months ago. But there are a lot of dead patches that
have not regrown,

I have grass seed but wonder whether late Sept early October is too late to
reseed.

Derek Banks

Probably about right according to the conditions - I seeded a new lawn
six weeks ago & I've had to mow it twice now :-(

Old 27-09-2006, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Phil" wrote in message
oups.com...

Derek Banks wrote:
My lawn has recovered remarkably well from the brown bare state it was in
some two or three months ago. But there are a lot of dead patches that
have not regrown,

I have grass seed but wonder whether late Sept early October is too late
reseed.

Derek Banks

Probably about right according to the conditions - I seeded a new lawn
six weeks ago & I've had to mow it twice now :-(

Consider yourself lucky - we also seeded a new lawn six weeks ago and my
other half has needed to mow it 7 times already. We plan to keep chickens
there next year, so opted for "Sports Grass" thinking it would be more
resilient to abuse, however we didn't anticipate that "Sports Grass"
actually meant it grew fast enough to compete itself in the 100 metre
sprint!
--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk

Old 27-09-2006, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I have grass seed but wonder whether late Sept early October is too late
reseed.

No problem - we did a whoel lawn in mid-October last year. Germinated fro
the winter and was nice and green (but not exactly lush)

Old 30-09-2006, 09:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

It should be okay because the soil is still warm. But to give things a
kickstart, try my husband's patent method! He mixes as much grass seed as
he needs with compost, putting the mix into a wheelbarrow and turning it
over well with a spade or shovel. Dampen slightly. Then put it back into
an empty compost bag, fold the top over lightly and leave for a few days.
Once it's germinated, he sows it wherever needed and usually covers it with
a piece of horticultural fleece held down at the corners by some stones.
This gets it off to a quicker start, keeps warmth in but keeps birds &
people's feet away! Works every time.

Quite agree Sacha, did it myself three weeks ago, also keeps birds from
pinching it when sown!
Trouble is, it does give you a sort of patchwork lawn as you can see
where you've sown when the grass has grown
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph