Old 22-03-2003, 12:32 AM
saki

Default Good Lavender Miniature Roses Rose rescue

Radika Kesavan wrote in
:

Along with Yantai it's my favorite mini for use in the landscape. Oh,
and Hoot Owl too.

Heheh. Pushing miniatures, are you? Tell us more about these, if you
please.

I like miniatures grown in larger containers (like 5 or 10 gallon)
because they become usable as real landscape plants, reaching 2 or 3 feet
in some cases. My gardening space is quite limited so planting some
small-scale roses helps to (a) fit more plants into the garden and (b)
provide a nice contrast to full-sized roses.

Yantai's flowers have an old-rose form that occasionally veers toward
quartered and sometimes tea, but they have a graceful and stunning
habit, lounging outward on gently drooping canes. The blossom is
basically ivory, but cool mornings encourage the inner petals towards a
luminescent shell pink; on warmer mornings they're a pale but glowing
buff. They open gradually over several days and stay full and
unshattering, like lemon cakes in clusters at the end of each stem.
They're well-scented too.

Foliage is deep green and untroubled by the vicissitudes of changeable
winter weather.

Hoot Owl is fun, a little single, burgundy on the outside with a white
eye and bright yellow stamens (I'm a sucker for these configurations; I
still think wistfully about a Little Artist I once had in days of yore).
Foliage is glossy and deep green. No scent but the blossom really stops
people in their tracks.

----