Old 21-03-2003, 08:44 PM
Radika Kesavan

Default Good Lavender Miniature Roses Rose rescue

saki wrote:
Radika Kesavan wrote in
:

If you really, really want to give a miniature rose a try, I would
recommend this one I got a couple of years ago at Mack's hectoring -
Lavender Sunblaze. Quite the beauty of vigour, bloom and health.

Don't forget another superb lavender miniature, Scentsational. The
fragrance is quite profound, very honey-based, and the color a terrific
mid-lavender with bright yellow stamens.

REALLY (and I do occasionally shout for Joy on the Usenet g)? A truly
fragrant miniature? And a lavender one at that? OK. I shall have to do
this forthwith. From where, D.?

--
Radika
California

Old 21-03-2003, 08:56 PM
saki

Radika Kesavan wrote in news:b5fsln$296udo$4@ID-
155555.news.dfncis.de:

saki wrote:

Don't forget another superb lavender miniature, Scentsational. The
fragrance is quite profound, very honey-based, and the color a terrific
mid-lavender with bright yellow stamens.

REALLY (and I do occasionally shout for Joy on the Usenet g)? A truly
fragrant miniature? And a lavender one at that? OK. I shall have to do
this forthwith. From where, D.?

Mine was given to me. But you can get it (HelpMeFind says) from Michael's
Premier Roses, The Uncommon Rose, Tiny Petals, and Nor'East Miniature Roses
(who introduced it).

Lovely lavender blossoms in exhibition bud form opening to 2 1/2" blooms;
fragrance is quite intoxicating, particularly from a mini. It's as heady as
any full-sized rose, even when only one or two blossoms are open.

Bush habit is also quite nice, about 12-18" tall and spreading 2 feet or
so. I have it growing on the front porch in a 5-gal tub, elevated on a
stand so it can be better seen and enjoyed.

Along with Yantai it's my favorite mini for use in the landscape. Oh, and
Hoot Owl too.

----

Old 21-03-2003, 09:20 PM
Tracy Lorraine Smith

I got lucky a few years ago and stumbled on a miniature
called "Lavender Jewel", very bloomiferous, nice size,
nice foliage, great flowers that are mauve with a
reddish blush where the sun hits them. Alas, no
fragrance however... But it usually has blooms on
it from May-September!

Tracy Lorraine Smith Boulder, CO Zone 5
still under two feet of snow...

Radika Kesavan wrote:
saki wrote:

Radika Kesavan wrote in
:

Old 21-03-2003, 09:56 PM
Radika Kesavan

saki wrote:

saki wrote:

Don't forget another superb lavender miniature, Scentsational. The
fragrance is quite profound, very honey-based, and the color a terrific
mid-lavender with bright yellow stamens.

.... From where, D.?

Mine was given to me. But you can get it (HelpMeFind says) from Michael's
Premier Roses, The Uncommon Rose, Tiny Petals, and Nor'East Miniature Roses
(who introduced it).

Thank you. Shall look into it. I want to get a few of Paul Barden's
roses from The Uncommon Rose, anyway, so, I can may be add this to the
order (http://www.uncommongarden.com/r/paulbarden.html). It may have to
wait another year since I have missed the bare-root planting season for
this year, but I will have to think a bit about this. I particularly
want to grow the Gallica Ellen Toffelmire and the Moss, Mel Hulse.
Nightmoss is not too shabby, is it!

Lovely lavender blossoms in exhibition bud form opening to 2 1/2" blooms;
fragrance is quite intoxicating, particularly from a mini. It's as heady as
any full-sized rose, even when only one or two blossoms are open.

Bush habit is also quite nice, about 12-18" tall and spreading 2 feet or
so. I have it growing on the front porch in a 5-gal tub, elevated on a
stand so it can be better seen and enjoyed.

Good suggestion that and very useful, since I am still struggling very
hard to learn to love Miniature roses. Very difficult for me, but the
husband likes them. Go figure.

Along with Yantai it's my favorite mini for use in the landscape. Oh, and
Hoot Owl too.

Heheh. Pushing miniatures, are you? Tell us more about these, if you
please. Thanks.

--
Radika
California

Old 21-03-2003, 09:56 PM
Radika Kesavan

Tracy Lorraine Smith wrote:
I got lucky a few years ago and stumbled on a miniature
called "Lavender Jewel", very bloomiferous, nice size,
nice foliage, great flowers that are mauve with a
reddish blush where the sun hits them. Alas, no
fragrance however... But it usually has blooms on
it from May-September!

Thank you, Tracy. From where did you get this mini, may I ask?

--
Radika
California

Old 22-03-2003, 12:32 AM
saki

Radika Kesavan wrote in
:

Along with Yantai it's my favorite mini for use in the landscape. Oh,
and Hoot Owl too.

Heheh. Pushing miniatures, are you? Tell us more about these, if you
please.

I like miniatures grown in larger containers (like 5 or 10 gallon)
because they become usable as real landscape plants, reaching 2 or 3 feet
in some cases. My gardening space is quite limited so planting some
small-scale roses helps to (a) fit more plants into the garden and (b)
provide a nice contrast to full-sized roses.

Yantai's flowers have an old-rose form that occasionally veers toward
quartered and sometimes tea, but they have a graceful and stunning
habit, lounging outward on gently drooping canes. The blossom is
basically ivory, but cool mornings encourage the inner petals towards a
luminescent shell pink; on warmer mornings they're a pale but glowing
buff. They open gradually over several days and stay full and
unshattering, like lemon cakes in clusters at the end of each stem.
They're well-scented too.

Foliage is deep green and untroubled by the vicissitudes of changeable
winter weather.

Hoot Owl is fun, a little single, burgundy on the outside with a white
eye and bright yellow stamens (I'm a sucker for these configurations; I
still think wistfully about a Little Artist I once had in days of yore).
Foliage is glossy and deep green. No scent but the blossom really stops
people in their tracks.

----

Old 22-03-2003, 12:56 AM
Radika Kesavan

saki wrote:
Radika Kesavan wrote in
:

Tell us more about these, if you please.

I like miniatures grown in larger containers (like 5 or 10 gallon)
because they become usable as real landscape plants, reaching 2 or 3
feet in some cases. My gardening space is quite limited so planting
some small-scale roses helps to (a) fit more plants into the garden
and (b) provide a nice contrast to full-sized roses.

A good arrangement for Minis, it appears.

Yantai's flowers have an old-rose form ... They're well-scented too.
Foliage is deep green and untroubled by the vicissitudes of
changeable winter weather.

Hoot Owl is fun, a little single, burgundy on the outside ... Foliage
is glossy and deep green. No scent but the blossom really stops
people in their tracks.

Looked them both up on HMF. Yantai is very appealing, and Hoot Owl is
certainly cute. Nice roses. Thanks for the recommendation. Will keep my
eyes open for the opportunity to try them out, may be. Thanks.

--
Radika
California

Old 24-03-2003, 09:08 PM
Tracy Lorraine Smith

I found it at the one of the local nurseries, but I don't remember where
they got their flowers from. It was The Flower Bin in Longmont, CO,
they have one of the better general rose selections in our area. It
was an impulse buy (saw Lavender ;-)), but a good one! Black Jade is
right next to it and a total disappointment.

Tracy Lorraine Smith Boulder CO Zone 5
Only under 6" of snow now ;-)

potted miniature roses Dick E. Roses 6 22-03-2011 11:09 PM
You're invited to my new Yahoo Group, "Fragrant Miniature Roses" Dan Gannon Roses 102 03-02-2011 04:45 PM
Lavender and White - pale-lavender-and-white.jpg Dave Fouchey Garden Photos 3 30-07-2007 01:36 AM
Rose rescue Cass Roses 15 22-03-2003 03:32 AM
Indoor Miniature Roses A Stafford Roses 2 06-02-2003 09:06 PM