Old 28-09-2006, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Screening hedging in shady area?

On 28/9/06 12:00, in article ,
"Chris" wrote:

I would like to establish a hedge like screen down the perimeter of out
wood, along a length of about 100 yards. The ground is an old ditch that
has become in-filled with pine needle humus and leaf mould, over many
years, so it drains very rapidly. i tried transplanting some 4 year old
leylandii shrubs, but the majority died through apparent lack of water,
despite my efforts to keep them well wetted in the recent dry spell. A lot
of the boundary is under the shade of old oak tress, so light is at a
premium. I would have liked the height of leylandii, but would some other
form of evergreen be more suitable? The boundary is hundreds of yards from
any buildings and leylandii would be entirely appropriate as we have no
neighbors within a vast distance to upset or deny light or view to.

I'm probably not visualising this properly but if you have no neighbours and
the wood is yours, is that in itself not boundary enough? Given their
heads, leylandii grow to 80 feet or more and I can't see what you'd gain
from those godawful things (can you tell I'm prejudiced ;- )that you're not
getting from lovely old oak trees. What is the point of the hedge, really,
because it sounds as if you're already private and protected? But, all that
said, would a beech hedge do it? IF 9' is tall enough, a beech hedge kept
at about that level retains its leaves even after they've turned brown.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk