Old 28-09-2006, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Screening hedging in shady area?

I would like to establish a hedge like screen down the perimeter of out
wood, along a length of about 100 yards. The ground is an old ditch that
has become in-filled with pine needle humus and leaf mould, over many
years, so it drains very rapidly. i tried transplanting some 4 year old
leylandii shrubs, but the majority died through apparent lack of water,
despite my efforts to keep them well wetted in the recent dry spell. A lot
of the boundary is under the shade of old oak tress, so light is at a
premium. I would have liked the height of leylandii, but would some other
form of evergreen be more suitable? The boundary is hundreds of yards from
any buildings and leylandii would be entirely appropriate as we have no
neighbors within a vast distance to upset or deny light or view to.

Thanks.
--
Best Regards,
Chris.
Old 28-09-2006, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Chris writes
I would like to establish a hedge like screen down the perimeter of out
wood, along a length of about 100 yards. The ground is an old ditch that
has become in-filled with pine needle humus and leaf mould, over many
years, so it drains very rapidly. i tried transplanting some 4 year old
leylandii shrubs, but the majority died through apparent lack of water,
despite my efforts to keep them well wetted in the recent dry spell. A lot
of the boundary is under the shade of old oak tress, so light is at a
premium. I would have liked the height of leylandii, but would some other
form of evergreen be more suitable? The boundary is hundreds of yards from
any buildings and leylandii would be entirely appropriate as we have no
neighbors within a vast distance to upset or deny light or view to.

Holly is tolerant of shade and would be more in keeping with a wood of
native trees. Slower growing than leylandii and only to about 15ft.

What are you trying to screen? - the view from the wood or the view of
the wood?
--
Kay
Old 28-09-2006, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/9/06 12:00, in article ,
"Chris" wrote:

I would like to establish a hedge like screen down the perimeter of out
wood, along a length of about 100 yards. The ground is an old ditch that
has become in-filled with pine needle humus and leaf mould, over many
years, so it drains very rapidly. i tried transplanting some 4 year old
leylandii shrubs, but the majority died through apparent lack of water,
despite my efforts to keep them well wetted in the recent dry spell. A lot
of the boundary is under the shade of old oak tress, so light is at a
premium. I would have liked the height of leylandii, but would some other
form of evergreen be more suitable? The boundary is hundreds of yards from
any buildings and leylandii would be entirely appropriate as we have no
neighbors within a vast distance to upset or deny light or view to.

I'm probably not visualising this properly but if you have no neighbours and
the wood is yours, is that in itself not boundary enough? Given their
heads, leylandii grow to 80 feet or more and I can't see what you'd gain
from those godawful things (can you tell I'm prejudiced ;- )that you're not
getting from lovely old oak trees. What is the point of the hedge, really,
because it sounds as if you're already private and protected? But, all that
said, would a beech hedge do it? IF 9' is tall enough, a beech hedge kept
at about that level retains its leaves even after they've turned brown.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 28-09-2006, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 12:33:39 +0100, Sacha wrote:

I'm probably not visualising this properly but if you have no neighbours and
the wood is yours, is that in itself not boundary enough? Given their
heads, leylandii grow to 80 feet or more and I can't see what you'd gain
from those godawful things (can you tell I'm prejudiced ;- )that you're not
getting from lovely old oak trees. What is the point of the hedge, really,
because it sounds as if you're already private and protected? But, all that
said, would a beech hedge do it? IF 9' is tall enough, a beech hedge kept
at about that level retains its leaves even after they've turned brown.

There is a disused fallen down industrial unit in the next field that's an
eyesore, I want to screen its presence when anyone walks our boundary. I
would like something fast growing, that will reach a minimum of 10 foot
high and be quite dense, visually. Ideally I'd like it to establish this
sort of height within 3 years, from plants that cost no more than 8 pounds
each. Possible? We have some laurel growing well in a similarly shady
condition, would that work? Thanks for the replies.

--
Best Regards,
Chris.
Old 28-09-2006, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/9/06 12:42, in article ,
"Chris" wrote:

[...]

Now I see your problem! First off, can you contact the council (assuming
you haven't already) and get this unit demolished on the grounds of being a
safety hazard or something of that sort? Secondly, I should think laurels
would work and so might Aucuba which would give a bit more colour. It's
pretty versatile as to light requirements but doesn't grow quite as fast as
the ordinary green laurel. I'm not touting for business as we don't do
mail order but to give you a rough price idea, our 2'-3' green laurels are
£4.50. They put on about 18" this year. However, prices will depend very
much on where you live but if you're buying in quantity you may well be able
to get a discount. If you can find one, I would strongly suggest buying
from a nursery rather than a garden centre because I think you'll probably
get a better price and a better chance of negotiating a discount.

Old 29-09-2006, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 13:49:58 +0100, Sacha wrote:

[...]

There's little chance of it being removed, it has some sort of preservation
order on it, others have pleaded to no avail!

I think we'll try laurel as we know it grows in a similar soil and with
almost as much shade in another part of the garden, and it seems fairly
inexpensive yet fast growing. Should we put any additive around the roots
or just plant straight in the base soil?

Thanks for your advice, it's much appreciated, and thanks to "K" too

--
Best Regards,
Chris.