Old 29-09-2006, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris[_5_] Chris[_5_] is offline

Default Screening hedging in shady area?

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 13:49:58 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Now I see your problem! First off, can you contact the council (assuming
you haven't already) and get this unit demolished on the grounds of being a
safety hazard or something of that sort? Secondly, I should think laurels
would work and so might Aucuba which would give a bit more colour. It's
pretty versatile as to light requirements but doesn't grow quite as fast as
the ordinary green laurel. I'm not touting for business as we don't do
mail order but to give you a rough price idea, our 2'-3' green laurels are
£4.50. They put on about 18" this year. However, prices will depend very
much on where you live but if you're buying in quantity you may well be able
to get a discount. If you can find one, I would strongly suggest buying
from a nursery rather than a garden centre because I think you'll probably
get a better price and a better chance of negotiating a discount.

There's little chance of it being removed, it has some sort of preservation
order on it, others have pleaded to no avail!

I think we'll try laurel as we know it grows in a similar soil and with
almost as much shade in another part of the garden, and it seems fairly
inexpensive yet fast growing. Should we put any additive around the roots
or just plant straight in the base soil?

Thanks for your advice, it's much appreciated, and thanks to "K" too

--
Best Regards,
Chris.