Old 01-10-2006, 04:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Claude Claude is offline

Default Wow, this Phal is just amazing

Hello Joanna!

I also have a Phal Baldan`s kaleidoscope and it was a reliable bloomer.....
I`m using was because it`s recovering now from a roots rot ..... but doing
fine....

Claude

"J Fortuna" a écrit dans le message de
news: lRETg.1508$3T2.921@trnddc06...
I just noticed a new spike on a Phal, which wouldn't be anything unusual,
except ...

This Phal (Phal Baldan's Kaleidoscope 'Golden Treasure' AM/AOS) was bought
at a Safeway grocery store on 9/19/2005 in flower on two spikes. Up until
very recently both spikes continued to be in bloom, but now only one of
them has two flowers left after more than a year of uninterrupted blooming
season. This phal is in a transparent pot, so I can tell that it's root
system looks good; furthermore it has nine healthy leaves including one
fairly new one -- so it is a healthy plant. During this one year that I
have had it (and that it has been in bloom), it has needed to be watered
only 12 times, so roughly once a month watering -- that's about as low
maintenance as it gets, right?

And now this Phal has a new spike just starting. It's current flowers are
not going to last much longer, so it will not be in bloom without any
break, but still. Wow!

Does anyone else here have a Phal Baldan's Kaleidoscope? Is it in general
a hybrid that has an exceedingly long lasting blooming season? or is that
a trait that is specific to individual plants?

Joanna