Old 02-10-2006, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Newbie...Honey Fungus & Edible gardening

"scoops" wrote in message

Ok this is my first post. ( I have looked for anwers to my question on
the forum and can't find any, but apologies if there are).

I am looking to start an organic fruit and vegetable plot in my
garden.

However, I think I have just discovered honey fungus growing on one of
my very old lilac trees at the top end of the garden.

Honey fungus doesn't grow ON a tree ...

While at the
other end, are smaller mushrooms growing in a patch where I dug a tree
stump out.

That's more like honey fungus.

My questions a

1) If, in deed, it is honey fungus and I suceed to produce fruit and
veg are these OK to eat.

We've eaten organically grown fruit and veg from our small garden for years.
We're still here ...

2) They tree stump that I dug out of the garden, is likely to have been
treated with chemicals to encourage the decaying process, how long
should I leave it before I can safely eat produce from this plot?

If anything grows I'd be happy to eat it. Nothing will grow successfully
while there's a residue of harmful chemicals.

My opinion, good luck with your venture, it will all be worthwhile but it
might take a year or two to show good results.

Mary