Old 02-10-2006, 03:06 PM
Registered User

Default Newbie...Honey Fungus & Edible gardening

Ok this is my first post. ( I have looked for anwers to my question on the forum and can't find any, but apologies if there are).

I am looking to start an organic fruit and vegetable plot in my garden.

However, I think I have just discovered honey fungus growing on one of my very old lilac trees at the top end of the garden. While at the other end, are smaller mushrooms growing in a patch where I dug a tree stump out.

My questions a

1) If, in deed, it is honey fungus and I suceed to produce fruit and veg are these OK to eat.

2) They tree stump that I dug out of the garden, is likely to have been treated with chemicals to encourage the decaying process, how long should I leave it before I can safely eat produce from this plot?

Scoops
Old 02-10-2006, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 2 Oct 2006 15:06:01 +0100, scoops
wrote:

Ok this is my first post. ( I have looked for anwers to my question on
the forum and can't find any, but apologies if there are).

I am looking to start an organic fruit and vegetable plot in my
garden.

However, I think I have just discovered honey fungus growing on one of
my very old lilac trees at the top end of the garden. While at the
other end, are smaller mushrooms growing in a patch where I dug a tree
stump out.

My questions a

1) If, in deed, it is honey fungus and I suceed to produce fruit and
veg are these OK to eat.

2) They tree stump that I dug out of the garden, is likely to have been
treated with chemicals to encourage the decaying process, how long
should I leave it before I can safely eat produce from this plot?

Scoops

Firstly, where are you located?
Old 02-10-2006, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"scoops" wrote in message

Ok this is my first post. ( I have looked for anwers to my question on
the forum and can't find any, but apologies if there are).

I am looking to start an organic fruit and vegetable plot in my
garden.

However, I think I have just discovered honey fungus growing on one of
my very old lilac trees at the top end of the garden.

Honey fungus doesn't grow ON a tree ...

While at the
other end, are smaller mushrooms growing in a patch where I dug a tree
stump out.

That's more like honey fungus.

My questions a

1) If, in deed, it is honey fungus and I suceed to produce fruit and
veg are these OK to eat.

We've eaten organically grown fruit and veg from our small garden for years.
We're still here ...

2) They tree stump that I dug out of the garden, is likely to have been
treated with chemicals to encourage the decaying process, how long
should I leave it before I can safely eat produce from this plot?

If anything grows I'd be happy to eat it. Nothing will grow successfully
while there's a residue of harmful chemicals.

My opinion, good luck with your venture, it will all be worthwhile but it
might take a year or two to show good results.

Mary

Old 02-10-2006, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

scoops wrote:

However, I think I have just discovered honey fungus growing on one of
my very old lilac trees at the top end of the garden. While at the
other end, are smaller mushrooms growing in a patch where I dug a tree
stump out.
My questions a
1) If, in deed, it is honey fungus and I suceed to produce fruit and
veg are these OK to eat.
2) They tree stump that I dug out of the garden, is likely to have been
treated with chemicals to encourage the decaying process, how long
should I leave it before I can safely eat produce from this plot?

Have you heard about the Early Purple Orchid (armillaria) as an organic
control to honey fungus? webmesh.co.uk and stumpbusters.co.uk both
explain how you can do it. I think it's amazing )

Old 03-10-2006, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3/10/06 01:15, in article , "Janet
Baraclough" wrote:

The message .com
from "La Puce" contains these words:

Have you heard about the Early Purple Orchid (armillaria) as an organic
control to honey fungus?

Armillaria is honey fungus.

Janet

And the Early Purple Orchid is Orchis mascula.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 03-10-2006, 01:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Baraclough wrote:
Armillaria is honey fungus.

Yes! Got ahead of myself there )

Old 03-10-2006, 08:23 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
On Mon, 2 Oct 2006 15:06:01 +0100, scoops
wrote:
[color=blue][i]

Firstly, where are you located?
I am in Cheshire, near Altrincham. I believe we have lots of this little beauty in the area.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:37 PM
Registered User

[quote=Mary Fisher
If anything grows I'd be happy to eat it. Nothing will grow successfully
while there's a residue of harmful chemicals.

My opinion, good luck with your venture, it will all be worthwhile but it
might take a year or two to show good results.

Mary[/QUOTE]

Mary, thanks for your advice. Over the weekend, I thought all was lost and I wouldn't be able to grow anything with success. Now I can't wait to get going and look forward to the first fruits.

Old 03-10-2006, 11:03 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Puce

Have you heard about the Early Purple Orchid (armillaria) as an organic
control to honey fungus? webmesh.co.uk and stumpbusters.co.uk both
explain how you can do it. I think it's amazing )
Just had a look at those links....very interesting. My parents have had alot of the "bootlaces" in their garden for many, many years. Have passed the advice on to them too!!!! Definately like a challenge, so will have to have a go at a few of these......thanks.

Old 05-10-2006, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"scoops" wrote in message

However, I think I have just discovered honey fungus growing on one of
my very old lilac trees at the top end of the garden. While at the
other end, are smaller mushrooms growing in a patch where I dug a tree
stump out.

If it is honey fungus, then you can eat the honey fungus. It's delicious.

Just make absolutely sure you are 100% certain about the identification
though, as eating the wrong type of mushrooms can have VERY serious
consequences. Also, you need to make sure you cook it properly, as it's not
good to eat raw. Have a look at some of Antionio Carluccio's books for more
on this sort of thing.

Adam