Old 22-03-2003, 11:28 AM
Simon Avery

Default Cheapest petrol Lawnmower with rear roller?

"Alastair J. Smith" wrote:

Hello Alastair

AJS You will be hard pressed to find a roller mower (petrol) for
AJS under £200. The UK is the only market for roller mowers,
AJS that is why most of the mowers sold in the sheds (mass
AJS multiples) are 4 wheel, because they are made for
AJS the European and American markets.

And rotary. I've got an old Alco (I think) cylinder mower for sale
(about 50 quid) in Devon if anyone's interested.

AJS If you want a cheap mower it will have to be 4 wheel I'm
AJS afraid. But the mowers sold in the £99 to £199 are of
AJS dubious quality, the engine is built to a very low cost and
AJS will give problems starting. The height adjusters tend to
AJS break, as do recoil cord and handles.

Not so sure here. Most of them seem to have Briggs & Stratton engines,
which are pretty good and even manage to start well. Honda engine ones
are even better.

The decks are what usually dies first on cheap mowers. Thin pressed
steel means it rusts out very quickly. Some have plastic decks which
I'm really not sure about...