Old 06-10-2006, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

Default Melianthus major

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "p.k." contains these words:

Janet Baraclough wrote:

snip.

For anyone in a mildish area who likes exotic foliage and hasn't
tried this stunning plant, do have a look for it.

Janet.

I will second that. Although round here does not have a particularly mild
climate I believe Melianthus may be a little tougher than expected. Even

if
gets cut back it should resprout with a vengeance.

I think you're right about it being tougher than its reputation implies.
There's some in a public garden I know, which got cut right back by this
early spring's cold snap, but it didn't die and, as you say, 'resprouted'
vigorously.