Old 06-10-2006, 07:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Melianthus major

Janet Baraclough wrote:
This elegant blue-green serrated foliage plant is well established in
the front garden now, in a sunny spot between big boulders; it
flowers but not well enough to set seed. I'd like to propagate it to
use in another part of the garden, does anyone have experience of
doing this?

Janet

From memory, I seem to recall mine self layering from branches lying on the
ground.

Old 06-10-2006, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "p.k." contains these words:

Janet Baraclough wrote:

snip.

For anyone in a mildish area who likes exotic foliage and hasn't
tried this stunning plant, do have a look for it.

Janet.

I will second that. Although round here does not have a particularly mild
climate I believe Melianthus may be a little tougher than expected. Even if
gets cut back it should resprout with a vengeance.

Old 06-10-2006, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

Janet Baraclough wrote:

snip.

For anyone in a mildish area who likes exotic foliage and hasn't
tried this stunning plant, do have a look for it.

Janet.

I will second that. Although round here does not have a particularly mild
climate I believe Melianthus may be a little tougher than expected. Even

if
gets cut back it should resprout with a vengeance.

I think you're right about it being tougher than its reputation implies.
There's some in a public garden I know, which got cut right back by this
early spring's cold snap, but it didn't die and, as you say, 'resprouted'
vigorously.

Old 06-10-2006, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 6/10/06 15:47, in article ,

Janet Baraclough wrote:
snip.

For anyone in a mildish area who likes exotic foliage and hasn't
tried this stunning plant, do have a look for it.

Janet.

I will second that. Although round here does not have a particularly

mild
climate I believe Melianthus may be a little tougher than expected.

Even
if
gets cut back it should resprout with a vengeance.

I think you're right about it being tougher than its reputation implies.
There's some in a public garden I know, which got cut right back by this
early spring's cold snap, but it didn't die and, as you say,

'resprouted'
vigorously.

We have no probs with it here but wouldn't expect to. However, in colder
areas perhaps mulching would be a good idea?

I think that would be sound practice - I can't imagine it doing any harm,
and protecting the roots should help ensure the plant recovers if knocked
back by frosts.

It has a most peculiar smell
that I dislike but I love the shape of the leaves. And you seem only to

get
the smell if you handle the leaves, so the answer is "don't".

Can't say I've noticed that, but I'll take your word for it :-)

Old 06-10-2006, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:

I know the smell of cat pee (5 cats). I can't get a smell from Melianthus
(just tried in the pouring rain) but that means nothing. Salvia turkestanica
smells of pineapple as far as I am concerned but everyone else says it
smells of cat pee. Bloody cats!

If I remember correctly, Sacha alikens it somewhat more grapically.
I've never been into a typing pool on a hot day and I think I'm rather
grateful that I've been spared the experience!

Old 06-10-2006, 08:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"DavePoole Torquay" wrote in message
oups.com...
Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:

I know the smell of cat pee (5 cats). I can't get a smell from Melianthus
(just tried in the pouring rain) but that means nothing. Salvia
turkestanica
smells of pineapple as far as I am concerned but everyone else says it
smells of cat pee. Bloody cats!

If I remember correctly, Sacha alikens it somewhat more grapically.
I've never been into a typing pool on a hot day and I think I'm rather
grateful that I've been spared the experience!

I vaguely remember that description. My sense of smell was bugad as a youth
by sniffing too many chemical substances.
As a chemist you had to smell everything ( prior to Health & Safety)
I am proud to say that I know the smell of Cyanide gas, Phosphine, and
Arsine.

Old 06-10-2006, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/10/06 19:43, in article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 6/10/06 17:45, in article ,
"Janet
Baraclough" wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

It has a most peculiar smell
that I dislike but I love the shape of the leaves. And you seem only to
get
the smell if you handle the leaves, so the answer is "don't".

A gardener colleague says exactly the same as you, except she says it's
particularly horrible when their plant is wet. She hates working near
it.

I'm wondering if the smell varies between plants, or is it only hitting
one of those receptors that some people don't have (where is Nick). I
can't smell mine at all, wet, dry, touched or not, .and I really have
tried!

I have a keen sense of smell but I do think it's horses for courses. I
loathe the smell of Choisya which to me, smells of cat's pee to the nth
degree. Others I know can't imagine what I'm talking about.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

I know the smell of cat pee (5 cats). I can't get a smell from Melianthus
(just tried in the pouring rain) but that means nothing. Salvia turkestanica
smells of pineapple as far as I am concerned but everyone else says it
smells of cat pee. Bloody cats!

S. turkestanica is one of the foulest smelling things ever made for the
garden! It smells of the worst kind of BO and is it takes a very good wash
to get the smell off your hands. A friend of ours used to say that it
smelled of BO, wet wool and very cheap perfume. In absolutely no way can I
relate it pineapple!

Old 06-10-2006, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 6/10/06 19:43, in article , "Rupert
(W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 6/10/06 17:45, in article ,
"Janet
Baraclough" wrote:

[...]

Ah that explains it . Round here we got loads of wet wool, very cheap chav
perfume and BO-so any plant smells sweeter than that lot.
Mental note--must move Sawth:-)

Old 07-10-2006, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/10/06 22:28, in article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

snip
S. turkestanica is one of the foulest smelling things ever made for the
garden! It smells of the worst kind of BO and is it takes a very good
wash
to get the smell off your hands. A friend of ours used to say that it
smelled of BO, wet wool and very cheap perfume. In absolutely no way can I
relate it pineapple!

Ah that explains it . Round here we got loads of wet wool, very cheap chav
perfume and BO-so any plant smells sweeter than that lot.
Mental note--must move Sawth:-)

Aiming for a little refainement, eh? ;-)

Old 07-10-2006, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 6/10/06 22:28, in article , "Rupert
(W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

snip
S. turkestanica is one of the foulest smelling things ever made for the
garden! It smells of the worst kind of BO and is it takes a very good
wash
to get the smell off your hands. A friend of ours used to say that it
smelled of BO, wet wool and very cheap perfume. In absolutely no way can
relate it pineapple!

Ah that explains it . Round here we got loads of wet wool, very cheap
chav
perfume and BO-so any plant smells sweeter than that lot.
Mental note--must move Sawth:-)

Aiming for a little refainement, eh? ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

Oh no not that far south.Doncaster perhaps:-)