Old 06-10-2006, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Melianthus major

On 6/10/06 17:45, in article , "Janet
Baraclough" wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

It has a most peculiar smell
that I dislike but I love the shape of the leaves. And you seem only to get
the smell if you handle the leaves, so the answer is "don't".

A gardener colleague says exactly the same as you, except she says it's
particularly horrible when their plant is wet. She hates working near
it.

I'm wondering if the smell varies between plants, or is it only hitting
one of those receptors that some people don't have (where is Nick). I
can't smell mine at all, wet, dry, touched or not, .and I really have
tried!

I have a keen sense of smell but I do think it's horses for courses. I
loathe the smell of Choisya which to me, smells of cat's pee to the nth
degree. Others I know can't imagine what I'm talking about.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk