Old 07-10-2006, 04:08 AM posted to rec.gardens
Scooter the Mighty Scooter the Mighty is offline

Default Blackberry question

wrote:
I have in the yard of my new house a plant that I've been told might be
a black berry bush, fast growing thorny vines and plain green leaves.
But there are no berries. If it is such a plant, is there something I
can or should do to help it sprout berries? It's been 5 months now, and
of course the season is probably over now, but I'm wondering why there
were no berries all summer. Could it be something else?

Where I live, there are blackberry bushes all over. They are a major
weed. It sounds like they're rare where you are, since you aren't sure
what they look like.

Did your's flower? I don't know if they are self-pollinating or not,
I'm too busy trying to rip them out. I have some that try to grow in
the woods by my house every year. They get started and then the leaves
appear on the trees and they don't have enough sunlight to do much of
anything. How much light are yours getting?