Old 07-10-2006, 03:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Blackberry question

I have in the yard of my new house a plant that I've been told might be
a black berry bush, fast growing thorny vines and plain green leaves.
But there are no berries. If it is such a plant, is there something I
can or should do to help it sprout berries? It's been 5 months now, and
of course the season is probably over now, but I'm wondering why there
were no berries all summer. Could it be something else?

Old 08-10-2006, 04:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

If it is the Himalayan variety get rid of it as soon as possible. Usually
the only way to kill them is roundup in mid July.

They are a major invasive weed. You are better off buying blackberries in
the grocery store. If you nuture it, the plant will spread and pop up in
the most unlikely and unwanted places. It is proably the most obnoxious
plant on the planet.

ups.com...

Old 09-10-2006, 01:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

I dug some up and planted them in a row. I put up some fencing for them to
cling to. Then I ran some soaker hose along the row. I put down some tick
graduals to keep from having problems with ticks and chiggers. Then My wife
mowed 20 ft on each side of the row to keep the weeds and volunteer
blackberries under control. We started getting flowers she second year, and
picked from the end of June through July. That is when I got tired of
messing with them and letting the birds and bugs have the rest. I had
picked and canned 10 gallons, given away 3 gallons and sold 2 more. All
this was from 17 plants.

Dwayne

ups.com...

Old 10-10-2006, 06:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

My advice - GET RID OF IT before it takes over! Just spent 6 hours cutting
them back in a small part of my dad's yard - then there's the 500' driveway
with them lining it, plus the bottom 2 acres. The blackberry is a smart
plant - it sends long shoots over everything and down to the ground where
the end starts its own root system. Do not encourage blackberries!

ups.com...

Old 13-10-2006, 05:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

Well I decided to get rid of it, but I coulnd't get all the roots...I
dug a ways down and just ended up cutting what I could see and burying
what was left...I hope it won't come back.

Cathy Boer wrote:
My advice - GET RID OF IT before it takes over! Just spent 6 hours cutting
them back in a small part of my dad's yard - then there's the 500' driveway
with them lining it, plus the bottom 2 acres. The blackberry is a smart
plant - it sends long shoots over everything and down to the ground where
the end starts its own root system. Do not encourage blackberries!

ups.com...