Old 07-10-2006, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue[_3_] Sue[_3_] is offline

Default Eleagnus ebbingei

"Chris Hogg" wrote
On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 13:13:22 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Ray has just brought a pot of this into the house and oh! the
wonderful scent. I recommend it to anyone looking for evergreen and
scented.

It a;so makes excellent hedging in mild coastal areas. Very resistant
to salt-laden gales, even direct sea-spray.

It's fairly fast growing as well, at least the green one is; I haven't
grown the variegated ones. We planted it to fill a gap in a line of
shrubs along our side boundary and it's soon made a dense 8 - 9ft
screen and seems to take any amount of pruning in its stride. I find it
quite a handsome evergreen, and the scent is a real bonus. It ought to
make a good alternative choice to, say, laurel for a hedge where the
tightly clipped look isn't necessary.

--
Sue