Old 06-10-2006, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Eleagnus ebbingei

Ray has just brought a pot of this into the house and oh! the wonderful
scent. I recommend it to anyone looking for evergreen and scented.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 06-10-2006, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 13:13:22 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Ray has just brought a pot of this into the house and oh! the wonderful
scent. I recommend it to anyone looking for evergreen and scented.

It a;so makes excellent hedging in mild coastal areas. Very resistant
to salt-laden gales, even direct sea-spray.

--
Chris

Old 07-10-2006, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote
On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 13:13:22 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Ray has just brought a pot of this into the house and oh! the
wonderful scent. I recommend it to anyone looking for evergreen and
scented.

It a;so makes excellent hedging in mild coastal areas. Very resistant
to salt-laden gales, even direct sea-spray.

It's fairly fast growing as well, at least the green one is; I haven't
grown the variegated ones. We planted it to fill a gap in a line of
shrubs along our side boundary and it's soon made a dense 8 - 9ft
screen and seems to take any amount of pruning in its stride. I find it
quite a handsome evergreen, and the scent is a real bonus. It ought to
make a good alternative choice to, say, laurel for a hedge where the
tightly clipped look isn't necessary.

--
Sue

Old 10-10-2006, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ews.net,
Sue writes

It's fairly fast growing as well, at least the green one is; I haven't
grown the variegated ones. We planted it to fill a gap in a line of
shrubs along our side boundary and it's soon made a dense 8 - 9ft
screen and seems to take any amount of pruning in its stride. I find it
quite a handsome evergreen, and the scent is a real bonus. It ought to
make a good alternative choice to, say, laurel for a hedge where the
tightly clipped look isn't necessary.

Can you train/prune one to a small tree as you can with Buddleia
Alternitfolia. I'd like to grow one but it would be nice to make a small
tree rather than shrub so I can underplant.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 10-10-2006, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote
Sue writes

It's fairly fast growing as well, at least the green one is; I haven't
grown the variegated ones. We planted it to fill a gap in a line of
shrubs along our side boundary and it's soon made a dense 8 - 9ft
screen and seems to take any amount of pruning in its stride. I find
it quite a handsome evergreen, and the scent is a real bonus. It ought
to make a good alternative choice to, say, laurel for a hedge where
the tightly clipped look isn't necessary.

Can you train/prune one to a small tree as you can with Buddleia
Alternitfolia. I'd like to grow one but it would be nice to make a
small tree rather than shrub so I can underplant.

I haven't tried to grow it as a standard but I don't see why not. It'd
have a stiffer sort of character to it compared to the Buddleia, but
there are sites online, e.g. http://www.standardtrees.co.uk/ , that
sell them as standards (at scary prices!) so it's certainly possible.
They seem to reshoot after pruning as soon as you turn your back, mind
you, so it might need a weather eye kept on it to keep the trunk bare.
:-)

In fact now you mention it I think I'll stick few cuttings in and have a
go. You're very welcome to cuttings if they're likely to be any use
after a trip through the post.

--
Sue

Old 11-10-2006, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ews.net,
Sue writes

In fact now you mention it I think I'll stick few cuttings in and have a
go. You're very welcome to cuttings if they're likely to be any use
after a trip through the post.

Ooh yes please. I do have a friend who has the tree but it hasn't grown
enough this year to take any decent cuttings. I prefer cuttings, not
because I'm tight but I like the challenge

Can I give you anything in return?

I have a LOT of rooted cuttings/small shrubs in my garden! I have
gladiolus pappilio and salvias, and toad lily and oh well tons of stuff.

I'll send my address is you let me know your email.

Janet
Old 12-10-2006, 12:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote
Ooh yes please. I do have a friend who has the tree but it hasn't
grown enough this year to take any decent cuttings. I prefer cuttings,
not because I'm tight but I like the challenge

Can I give you anything in return?

I have a LOT of rooted cuttings/small shrubs in my garden! I have
gladiolus pappilio and salvias, and toad lily and oh well tons of
stuff.

I'll send my address is you let me know your email.

Hi Janet, I've emailed.

--
Sue

Elaeagnus x ebbingei - Boom. Therefore[_2_] United Kingdom 2 07-06-2010 09:34 PM
eleagnus Bill Falconer United Kingdom 1 18-05-2005 08:27 PM
Eleagnus angustifolia keeled over Janet Galpin United Kingdom 1 18-09-2004 07:22 PM
Elaeagnus x ebbingei: how invasive? Victoria Clare United Kingdom 2 24-11-2003 06:47 PM
Elaeagnus x ebbingei banquet? Steve Harris United Kingdom 15 13-11-2002 02:58 AM