Old 07-10-2006, 08:14 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default Is Moss a Lichen

In message , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
In message , RzB
writes
I wonder if an expert on this NG could assist me.
I have googled etc but am still not clear.

I have in the back of my mind from school days,
(a long, long time ago) that moss is just a form
of lichen.

Have I got it all wrong? Or perhaps I'm even asking
a question that doesn't technically make sense!

You've got it wrong. Mosses are plants, and specifically land plants.
Lichens are symbiotic associations of fungi with algae or
cyanobacteria. (Algae either are or aren't plants, depending where you
draw the line. Cyanobacteria are plants.)

Missing negative syndrome strikes again. That should read "Cyanobacteria
aren't plants".

The source of your confusion may be that reindeer moss is a misnomer,
cladistically speaking, reindeer moss is a lichen.

Many thanks,
Roy

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley