Old 07-10-2006, 09:52 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
RzB RzB is offline

Default Is Moss a Lichen

I wonder if an expert on this NG could assist me.
I have googled etc but am still not clear.

I have in the back of my mind from school days,
(a long, long time ago) that moss is just a form
of lichen.

Have I got it all wrong? Or perhaps I'm even asking
a question that doesn't technically make sense!

Many thanks,
Roy

Old 07-10-2006, 10:31 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 09:52:41 +0100, "RzB"
wrote:

I wonder if an expert on this NG could assist me.
I have googled etc but am still not clear.

I have in the back of my mind from school days,
(a long, long time ago) that moss is just a form
of lichen.

Have I got it all wrong? Or perhaps I'm even asking
a question that doesn't technically make sense!

Many thanks,
Roy

They are different. A lichen is a combination of a fungus and an
algae.

the word "moss" does show up in the common names of some lichens, but
properly used they are quite different

http://www.ontariowildflower.com/moss.htm

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4065822AAjbshm
Old 07-10-2006, 10:39 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

In message , RzB
writes
I wonder if an expert on this NG could assist me.
I have googled etc but am still not clear.

I have in the back of my mind from school days,
(a long, long time ago) that moss is just a form
of lichen.

Have I got it all wrong? Or perhaps I'm even asking
a question that doesn't technically make sense!

You've got it wrong. Mosses are plants, and specifically land plants.
Lichens are symbiotic associations of fungi with algae or cyanobacteria.
(Algae either are or aren't plants, depending where you draw the line.
Cyanobacteria are plants.)

The source of your confusion may be that reindeer moss is a misnomer,
cladistically speaking, reindeer moss is a lichen.

Many thanks,
Roy

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 07-10-2006, 03:13 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
RzB RzB is offline

"Charles" wrote in message
On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 09:52:41 +0100, "RzB"

=== snip

==== snip
Roy

They are different. A lichen is a combination of a fungus and an
algae.

the word "moss" does show up in the common names of some lichens, but
properly used they are quite different

http://www.ontariowildflower.com/moss.htm

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4065822AAjbshm

Ahh - I see - many thanks for your help.

Roy

Old 07-10-2006, 08:14 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

In message , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
In message , RzB
writes
I wonder if an expert on this NG could assist me.
I have googled etc but am still not clear.

I have in the back of my mind from school days,
(a long, long time ago) that moss is just a form
of lichen.

Have I got it all wrong? Or perhaps I'm even asking
a question that doesn't technically make sense!

You've got it wrong. Mosses are plants, and specifically land plants.
Lichens are symbiotic associations of fungi with algae or
cyanobacteria. (Algae either are or aren't plants, depending where you
draw the line. Cyanobacteria are plants.)

Missing negative syndrome strikes again. That should read "Cyanobacteria
aren't plants".

Old 07-10-2006, 10:06 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

In article , Charles wrote:
A lichen is a combination of a fungus and an algae.

An alga, to be precise. Algae is the plural.

A small distinction but important.

Roger

Old 07-10-2006, 10:10 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

"RzB" schreef
I have in the back of my mind from school days,
(a long, long time ago) that moss is just a form
of lichen.

==== snip
Roy

They are different. A lichen is a combination of a fungus and an
algae.

the word "moss" does show up in the common names of some lichens, but
properly used they are quite different

http://www.ontariowildflower.com/moss.htm

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4065822AAjbshm

Ahh - I see - many thanks for your help.

Roy

***
Also, keep in mind that a club moss is not a kind of moss.
PvR