Old 09-10-2006, 10:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
emntee emntee is offline

Default deflasking Tolumnias

K Barrett wrote:
Two Buck Chuck is a blend of grapes (either red or white) purchased from
whatever vineyard has overage they can't use, and sold to a chain of grocery
stores (Called Trader Joe's) and sold under the name of Charles Shaw for
$1.99, hence the nickname Two Buck Chuck. The stuff is very drinkable.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/...in556620.shtml

As to whether its be good to water plants (as Joanna suggests) Why waste it?
*G*

Thanks for that Kathy. I was wondering if it referred to 'chuck' in the
literal sense of the word. I have had a few wines that resulted in that
syndrome.

We did an orchid display a year or so back and needed a wine bottle to
put in it for some reason that escapes me. As we were setting up this
display in a winery, I asked them if I could borrow a bottle of theirs.
After all it was not politically correct to be displaying some other
brand. They gave me a bottle that they said had been used for promotion
purposes and had been in the sun and would, therefore, not be
drinkable, and please don't bother bringing it back. I still have it
and and after tasting their 'drinkable' variety, which cost an arm and
leg and had a tendency to curl your toe nails, decided that I was just
not brave enough to test it out. Pouring it on an orchid could be some
kind of poetic justice.

I have heard that wine growers of old had a habit of pouring some of
their wine around the base of the grape vine which added some exotic
ingredient to the soil which made next years crop even better. Better
that what, I don't know.

Enough of wine already. (says he with a glass of red in his hand) This
is supposed to be about orchids.

Tony