Old 05-10-2006, 02:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default deflasking Tolumnias

Hi !

I`ve been a lurker for quite a long time (years ) and find this
group very helpful and friendly. Finally a time came to ask a question
: I`ve got a flask of Tolumnia seedlings, ready to pot. My question is
- should I pot them in orchid medium (or sphagnum moss ?), in pots or
should I transplant them directly to the mounts ? I did deflasking
before but Tolumnias frighten me a bit

Sandra

Old 05-10-2006, 02:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Rob Rob is offline

Sandra wrote:
Hi !

I`ve been a lurker for quite a long time (years ) and find this
group very helpful and friendly. Finally a time came to ask a question
: I`ve got a flask of Tolumnia seedlings, ready to pot. My question is
- should I pot them in orchid medium (or sphagnum moss ?), in pots or
should I transplant them directly to the mounts ? I did deflasking
before but Tolumnias frighten me a bit

Sandra

I think straight out of flask you should probably do a compot first, in
some sort of traditional mix. A seedling bark or sphagnum is probably
appropriate. They need to harden off a bit before you put them on the
mounts. Give them until spring in the compots, at least.

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 05-10-2006, 04:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Welcom Sandra,
I would say Rob has given you good advice & you could get more detailed info at:-

Anita Aldrich of Sundance Orchids in Galverston is a famous grower/hybridizer,
only problem is that I cant find any info.

Also
- Palmer Orchids Inc. in Florida (Has a website)
--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email Address Invalid
ups.com...

Old 05-10-2006, 09:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I guess I will pot them in sphagnum. I didn`t have much success with
the thin roots seedlings in compost.

thanks for your advice
Sandra

Old 06-10-2006, 10:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Sandra wrote:
I guess I will pot them in sphagnum. I didn`t have much success with
the thin roots seedlings in compost.

Hi Sandra

I would advise against sphagnum for Tolumnias. They like to dry out
after each watering. I have had some success with the following method.

Keep them all together after de-flasking. Don't disturb the roots any
more that you really have to. Put the whole lot, still together as they
came out of the flask, into a shallow, empty container with holes in
the bottom, and water each morning. Works for me.

If you insist on using sphagnum, only use a thin layer underneath the
roots so that they dry out before days end.

A great method of potting them when they get a bit bigger, is to get an
80mmm (3inch) round basket, and put a group of wine corks around the
inside edge. Sit a plant in the centre and water each day. Mine grow
great like that and they can be left that way for years.

Good luck anyway,

Tony

Old 07-10-2006, 01:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

wendy7 wrote:
What a great idea Tony have you got a picture for us.

Hi Wendy

I can do better than that

http://members.iinet.net.au/%7Eemntee/page77.html

Funny you should ask as I am in the middle of putting together a Power
Point Presentation for my local Ochid Society about Oncidiums and these
pix are included.

Enjoy

Tony

Old 07-10-2006, 03:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Great stuff Tony, thanks so much. A super idea.
Also, I find Tolumnias to be Mealy Bug magnets, wondering if you have
any tips for eradicating them? (The mealy's that is)*G*

Old 07-10-2006, 05:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Good pictures Tony! Thanks! Wendy, 4 corks just fit inside a 2" square
plastic pot (one of the taller variety) Dennis Olivas will place the
tolumnia between the 4 corks and stuff them into the square pot. Off they
grow!

Of course, he says the cork should not have been used.... but I can't think
of anyone on earth who *doesn't* use used wine corks... I suppose this
could devolve into a discussion on red vs white. (Personally the only reds
I've been drinking have been Aussie blends.... odd coincidence? I think
not... it'll turn out to be just another conspiracy. However we won't
discover it until we're 90. And California still rules for whites. Just
look at 2 buck chuck.)

K Barrett

"emntee" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old 08-10-2006, 01:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Kathy,
On the red vs. white discussion: a coworker of mine used to regularly water
a houseplant with red wine, while he was still a bachelor, and he persists
that his wife's insistence that the plant be watered with water is what
killed the plant after he got married. So here is one testimonial for red.
Joanna

"K Barrett" wrote in message
Good pictures Tony! Thanks! Wendy, 4 corks just fit inside a 2" square
plastic pot (one of the taller variety) Dennis Olivas will place the
tolumnia between the 4 corks and stuff them into the square pot. Off they
grow!

Of course, he says the cork should not have been used.... but I can't
think of anyone on earth who *doesn't* use used wine corks... I suppose
this could devolve into a discussion on red vs white. (Personally the
only reds I've been drinking have been Aussie blends.... odd coincidence?
I think not... it'll turn out to be just another conspiracy. However we
won't discover it until we're 90. And California still rules for whites.
Just look at 2 buck chuck.)

K Barrett

"emntee" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old 08-10-2006, 09:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

wendy7 wrote:
Great stuff Tony, thanks so much. A super idea.
Also, I find Tolumnias to be Mealy Bug magnets, wondering if you have
any tips for eradicating them? (The mealy's that is)*G*

--
Cheers Wendy

True, the mealies do like Toumnias. I work on the basis that prevention
is better than any other treatment. My orchids grow in a sealed
greenhouse, (well almost sealed) and that stops the worst of the bugs
getting in. Occasionally, some mealies have entered on a bought plant
that I have not been diligent enough to repot and disinfect on arrival.
No excuse for stupidity. Minor infections I try to control with a
mineral oil, if that doesn't work and the infection spread to many
others, (as it does sometimes) I give them a spray with the nastiest
insecticide I can lay my hands on with a few drops of detergent
included. I don't like to use the nasties, but there are are times when
it is really the only answer. After spraying, I close the greenhouse up
for at least a day. This seems to get rid of them. I use the same
treatment for scale and I have not had any for at least 3-4 years.
(Says he touching wood)

Works for me

Tony

Old 08-10-2006, 10:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

K Barrett wrote:

(Personally the only reds
I've been drinking have been Aussie blends.... odd coincidence? I think
not... it'll turn out to be just another conspiracy. However we won't
discover it until we're 90. And California still rules for whites. Just
look at 2 buck chuck.)

K Barrett

Kathy, I have been through the 'wine corks, therefore wine bottles,
therefore drunken skunk' bit many times so it's all like water (or the
wine of your choice) off a ducks back.

I also (naturally) am fond of the Aussie red blends, but *my* poison of
choice comes in a cardboad box (yet another Aussie invention, but who's
counting). And for those readers who have not yet twigged, I happen to
be an inhabitant of the antipodes (as Kathy is very aware) so now you
may understand the reference to Aussie wines.

I thought this may bring enlightenment to some of you in the same way
that I need to be enlightened as to what a *2 buck chuck* may be. (The
mind boggles)

Tony

Old 08-10-2006, 05:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Two Buck Chuck is a blend of grapes (either red or white) purchased from
whatever vineyard has overage they can't use, and sold to a chain of grocery
stores (Called Trader Joe's) and sold under the name of Charles Shaw for
$1.99, hence the nickname Two Buck Chuck. The stuff is very drinkable.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/...in556620.shtml

As to whether its be good to water plants (as Joanna suggests) Why waste it?
*G*

K Barrett

"emntee" wrote in message
ps.com...

Old 09-10-2006, 10:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

K Barrett wrote:
Two Buck Chuck is a blend of grapes (either red or white) purchased from
whatever vineyard has overage they can't use, and sold to a chain of grocery
stores (Called Trader Joe's) and sold under the name of Charles Shaw for
$1.99, hence the nickname Two Buck Chuck. The stuff is very drinkable.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/...in556620.shtml

As to whether its be good to water plants (as Joanna suggests) Why waste it?
*G*

Thanks for that Kathy. I was wondering if it referred to 'chuck' in the
literal sense of the word. I have had a few wines that resulted in that
syndrome.

We did an orchid display a year or so back and needed a wine bottle to
put in it for some reason that escapes me. As we were setting up this
display in a winery, I asked them if I could borrow a bottle of theirs.
After all it was not politically correct to be displaying some other
brand. They gave me a bottle that they said had been used for promotion
purposes and had been in the sun and would, therefore, not be
drinkable, and please don't bother bringing it back. I still have it
and and after tasting their 'drinkable' variety, which cost an arm and
leg and had a tendency to curl your toe nails, decided that I was just
not brave enough to test it out. Pouring it on an orchid could be some
kind of poetic justice.

I have heard that wine growers of old had a habit of pouring some of
their wine around the base of the grape vine which added some exotic
ingredient to the soil which made next years crop even better. Better
that what, I don't know.

Enough of wine already. (says he with a glass of red in his hand) This
is supposed to be about orchids.

Tony

A Chain of Blooming Tolumnias Wendy7 Orchid Photos 1 04-05-2007 07:29 PM
Equitants & Tolumnias wendy7 Orchids 5 03-05-2005 11:54 PM
deflasking paphs Sekanek Orchids 8 22-04-2003 05:08 PM
The sanderianum Chronicles Part 1 (was deflasking paphs Elpaninaro Orchids 1 18-04-2003 02:56 AM
Deflasking rupiculous Laelia Dewitt Orchids 7 02-04-2003 02:32 AM