Old 10-10-2006, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default Sending plants to France by post

Pam Moore wrote:
Can anyone tell me whether I can send a small package of seedlings to
France. Are there restrictions? I have recently stayed with
relatives who live inthe south of France and would like to send them
some of my surplus for their garden.

You had me thinking. Of all the things I've send (and I've send
hundreds of parcels in 25 years) I've never send plants, only lots of
seeds. I've once received a little cactus in a polysterene box. So I
don't see why you couldn't. But I've checked with lots of nurseries,
and they all send plugs abroad via Royal Mail with no problem. (Penlan
Perenial sends all over Europe). I think the problem is from the USA
and sub continent - perhaps because of little or lack of regulations?
Pests? Diseases? I don't know. .Larger pots are send by roads, it's
more cost effective.

I've found this site amusing - doesn't tell you if you can send
seedlings, but most others things you thought strange. At the bottom of
the article there's lovely testimonies from people.