Old 10-10-2006, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sending plants to France by post

Can anyone tell me whether I can send a small package of seedlings to
France. Are there restrictions? I have recently stayed with
relatives who live inthe south of France and would like to send them
some of my surplus for their garden.

Pam in Bristol
Old 10-10-2006, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pam Moore wrote:
Can anyone tell me whether I can send a small package of seedlings to
France. Are there restrictions? I have recently stayed with
relatives who live inthe south of France and would like to send them
some of my surplus for their garden.

You had me thinking. Of all the things I've send (and I've send
hundreds of parcels in 25 years) I've never send plants, only lots of
seeds. I've once received a little cactus in a polysterene box. So I
don't see why you couldn't. But I've checked with lots of nurseries,
and they all send plugs abroad via Royal Mail with no problem. (Penlan
Perenial sends all over Europe). I think the problem is from the USA
and sub continent - perhaps because of little or lack of regulations?
Pests? Diseases? I don't know. .Larger pots are send by roads, it's
more cost effective.

I've found this site amusing - doesn't tell you if you can send
seedlings, but most others things you thought strange. At the bottom of
the article there's lovely testimonies from people.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
news
Can anyone tell me whether I can send a small package of seedlings to
France. Are there restrictions? I have recently stayed with
relatives who live inthe south of France and would like to send them
some of my surplus for their garden.

Pam in Bristol

I have sent and received various cuttings/plants from the UKHolland
without any problems, but have never actually checked what is allowed:~)
Jenny

Old 10-10-2006, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
news
Can anyone tell me whether I can send a small package of seedlings to
France. Are there restrictions? I have recently stayed with
relatives who live inthe south of France and would like to send them
some of my surplus for their garden.

Pam in Bristol

I think there are "supposed" to be certain restrictions depending upon what
plant and what department in France they are being sent to. Have a look on
the DEFRA website - they list varieties of plants with restrictions on them.
From memory I think there are restrictions sending brassicas to Brittany for
example. However, from what I can gather, most of the Brits who have moved
here have brought all their plants here with impunity and customs have never
confiscated any. I assume the same restrictions or lack thereof would apply
to posted items too.
--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk

Old 11-10-2006, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 11:51:31 GMT, Pam Moore
wrote:

Can anyone tell me whether I can send a small package of seedlings to
France. Are there restrictions? I have recently stayed with
relatives who live inthe south of France and would like to send them
some of my surplus for their garden.

Thanks to Helene, Jenny and David for your advice. You all should
know!

Pam in Bristol