Old 10-10-2006, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BoyPete BoyPete is offline

Default Oak Tree

Graculus wrote:
Possibly a bit OT, but it does relate to my garden.

It is with great regret that I have to get rid of a large oak tree in
my garden. The tree itself it quite healthy, but it is so close to a
neighbour's building that the roots are lifting and damaging the
building's wall, to the extent they can no longer get insurance. My
question is what to do with all the wood. The branches I'll get
logged up and burn over the next few years. But the main trunk is
about 3-4 feet across and 12-15 feet up to the first branches. Could
someone (an artist or furniture maker) do something with such a big
chunk of solid oak? How would I locate someone who might relish such
an opportunity? Should I sell it on eBay (buyer collects and pays for
the crane which would be needed to lift it over my house)?
Any ideas before it gets chopped up into little bits?

Try Googling for 'oak carpenters' and similar. You might find someone
interested
--
ßôyþëtë