Old 10-10-2006, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Oak Tree

Possibly a bit OT, but it does relate to my garden.

It is with great regret that I have to get rid of a large oak tree in my
garden. The tree itself it quite healthy, but it is so close to a
neighbour's building that the roots are lifting and damaging the building's
wall, to the extent they can no longer get insurance. My question is what to
do with all the wood. The branches I'll get logged up and burn over the next
few years. But the main trunk is about 3-4 feet across and 12-15 feet up to
the first branches. Could someone (an artist or furniture maker) do
something with such a big chunk of solid oak? How would I locate someone who
might relish such an opportunity? Should I sell it on eBay (buyer collects
and pays for the crane which would be needed to lift it over my house)?

Any ideas before it gets chopped up into little bits?

Old 10-10-2006, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Graculus" wrote in message
[...]

What a shame. Where are you?

Mary

Old 10-10-2006, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Graculus wrote:
Possibly a bit OT, but it does relate to my garden.

It is with great regret that I have to get rid of a large oak tree in
my garden. The tree itself it quite healthy, but it is so close to a
neighbour's building that the roots are lifting and damaging the
building's wall, to the extent they can no longer get insurance. My
question is what to do with all the wood. The branches I'll get
logged up and burn over the next few years. But the main trunk is
about 3-4 feet across and 12-15 feet up to the first branches. Could
someone (an artist or furniture maker) do something with such a big
chunk of solid oak? How would I locate someone who might relish such
an opportunity? Should I sell it on eBay (buyer collects and pays for
the crane which would be needed to lift it over my house)?
Any ideas before it gets chopped up into little bits?

I asked exactly the same of a guy at Hampton court re a client's oak tree.
Answere was that transport costs for a single tree are prohibitive. He buys
standingoak but only several trees at a time.

Do you have any local art colleges? They might snatch your hand off!

pk

Old 10-10-2006, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Graculus wrote:
Possibly a bit OT, but it does relate to my garden.

It is with great regret that I have to get rid of a large oak tree in
my garden. The tree itself it quite healthy, but it is so close to a
neighbour's building that the roots are lifting and damaging the
building's wall, to the extent they can no longer get insurance. My
question is what to do with all the wood. The branches I'll get
logged up and burn over the next few years. But the main trunk is
about 3-4 feet across and 12-15 feet up to the first branches. Could
someone (an artist or furniture maker) do something with such a big
chunk of solid oak? How would I locate someone who might relish such
an opportunity? Should I sell it on eBay (buyer collects and pays for
the crane which would be needed to lift it over my house)?
Any ideas before it gets chopped up into little bits?

Try Googling for 'oak carpenters' and similar. You might find someone
interested
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 10-10-2006, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Graculus" wrote in message
[...]

Surrey, right on the Hampshire & Sussex borders.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Graculus" wrote in message

Any ideas before it gets chopped up into little bits?

What a shame. Where are you?

Surrey, right on the Hampshire & Sussex borders.

Oh, I ask because a daughter is a furniture designer and could cope with it
but she's in south Wales, too far I'm afraid.

Mary

Old 10-10-2006, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 20:21:27 +0100, Graculus wrote
(in article ):

Possibly a bit OT, but it does relate to my garden.

It is with great regret that I have to get rid of a large oak tree in my
garden. The tree itself it quite healthy, but it is so close to a
neighbour's building that the roots are lifting and damaging the building's
wall, to the extent they can no longer get insurance. My question is what to
do with all the wood. The branches I'll get logged up and burn over the next
few years. But the main trunk is about 3-4 feet across and 12-15 feet up to
the first branches. Could someone (an artist or furniture maker) do
something with such a big chunk of solid oak? How would I locate someone who
might relish such an opportunity? Should I sell it on eBay (buyer collects
and pays for the crane which would be needed to lift it over my house)?

Any ideas before it gets chopped up into little bits?

Not answering your question exactly, but have you asked the advice of a
professional tree surgeon about the removal? I ask this because when we had
to have an oak tree removed which was very near our previous house, we were
advised to remove it (or get it removed, rather) over three years. We were on
clay soil and what we were told at the time was that since oak trees drink a
huge amount every day, if you remove one too quickly you can get *heave* -
the opposite of subsidence. Just something you might want to look into.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

Old 11-10-2006, 04:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Graculus wrote:
Could someone (an artist or furniture maker) do
something with such a big chunk of solid oak?

Harry Adcock's sawmill in Corby Glen used to not only collect english
hardwoods, but fell them too. I suspect that a phone call to them
might elicit either a positive response, or advice about who to call
next.

There may well be sawmills in your local yellow pages who might be
interested.

Old 11-10-2006, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sally Thompson" wrote in message
al.net...

Not answering your question exactly, but have you asked the advice of a
professional tree surgeon about the removal? I ask this because when we
had
to have an oak tree removed which was very near our previous house, we
were
advised to remove it (or get it removed, rather) over three years. We were
on
clay soil and what we were told at the time was that since oak trees drink
huge amount every day, if you remove one too quickly you can get *heave* -
the opposite of subsidence. Just something you might want to look into.

A tree surgeon will be doing it, don't you worry. I've already asked about
the subsidence/heave, but since I am on sandstone, it's not a problem.

Little Oak tree in a pot Peter United Kingdom 4 16-04-2003 10:44 AM
A problem with Pin Oak Tree galls... Help!! ABC Gardening 1 09-04-2003 12:56 AM
Oak Tree Leaf Problems Domenick Lacertosa Gardening 2 08-04-2003 04:44 PM
Oak tree galls Gloria Gardening 4 11-03-2003 06:20 AM
[IBC] Offtopic: Killing an Oak Tree (A Gratuitous Death) David J. Bockman Bonsai 7 01-02-2003 01:18 PM