Old 11-10-2006, 04:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Eric Hunt[_1_] Eric Hunt[_1_] is offline

Default Lighting... again....

Claude,

In my experience and everything I've read - don't sweat the details about
fluorescent lighting and your orchids. Just keep the tubes switched out
every year and keep the plants the appropriate distance from the tubes and
you'll be fine. Lots of people get the cheapest tubes they can find and have
great luck. I personally made sure I got a mix of cool and warm tubes, and
my plants were quite happy. I had one fixture, two tubes, and some of the
plants were even a little too bright - had to move the restrepias completely
out and the phal's leaves were slightly yellow. The plants were about 8-10
inches below the tubes. Oh, and my gesneriads were way too bright, too.

I would think 4 of those 2250 lumen tubes would be great for minicatts.
Standards catts are probably too tall for under-lights culture. Make sure
you pot the minicats in plastic and keep them well hydrated under lights -
they dry out a lot faster than you think. Minicatts can also take more water
than standards - it's the sophronitis influence.

-Eric

"Unknown" wrote in message
Hello everyone..... specially the lighting gurus...

I just changed my fluorescent last weekend and I bought GE 48 inch, 40
watts, T12 fluorescent for plant / aquarium, 3100 K, 1900 lumens, CRI 90.

I grow mostly Phal and that would be ok for my needs. But I noticed other
fluorescent tubes called Sunshine, 40 watts, T12, 2250 lumens, 5000K, CRI
90.
I was wondering if 4 of those sunshine tubes would be enough to grow
oncidium and catts ?

Thanks

Claude