Old 11-10-2006, 02:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Please Help...Grub Infestation

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey All,

The grubs have really gotten a hold of my lawn.(70% sod and 30% fescue)
By the looks of the brownish top (versus the green) it looks like
about 40%-50% of my lawn has grub problems.. I went and pulled some
patches of lawn and it pulls up like carpet with about 2-4 grubs in a
4" square patch. I realize it is late in the year but being in N.
Alabama, we probably wont have our first frost until about Week 2
November. I have a couple of questions:

1) Is there anything I can use now to kill them while they are feeding
??

2) What is the best insecticide to use in the spring?

3) What will I have to do to get my lawn back in shape?? I assume what
they have eaten is gone...never to return??

thanks a bunch....
Mark

Although you may have to use a pesticide for immediate kill, there are
bacterial products you can use for long term maintenance. Originally, it was
bacillus thuringensis, if I recall, although that may be the one used for
other pests. A real garden center can assist you with this. It's been said
that if your neighbors don't also use this stuff, it's useless, but that has
not been my experience.

Also: Do a google search for the words "cooperative extension" along with
the name of your state. Call them - they offer free help for home gardeners.
And finally, if you notice skunks around the property, walk away. They eat
grubs the way I go through a bag of Fritos.