Old 11-10-2006, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Graculus Graculus is offline

Default Oak Tree

"Sally Thompson" wrote in message
al.net...

Not answering your question exactly, but have you asked the advice of a
professional tree surgeon about the removal? I ask this because when we
had
to have an oak tree removed which was very near our previous house, we
were
advised to remove it (or get it removed, rather) over three years. We were
on
clay soil and what we were told at the time was that since oak trees drink
huge amount every day, if you remove one too quickly you can get *heave* -
the opposite of subsidence. Just something you might want to look into.

A tree surgeon will be doing it, don't you worry. I've already asked about
the subsidence/heave, but since I am on sandstone, it's not a problem.