Old 12-10-2006, 04:50 AM posted to rec.gardens
Steve[_2_] Steve[_2_] is offline

Default Tree ID Needed

Dan White wrote:
Hi. I'm trying to ID a couple of trees, but can't seem to locate the right
place online for that. I do have a tree book, but would like some better
opinions from anyone who cares to take a look. Also, if there is a good
place online for this kind of thing, I'd appreciate a referral.

The trees below are in northern NJ.

This is the first one. Is this a mulberry?
http://tinyurl.com/jnagr

Second tree - crabapple? Some of the pics are a little blurry. The fruit
is not a cherry. It looks like a very small crabapple.
http://tinyurl.com/hpg6v

This is a tree that fell over. It is quite large, and I'm not sure how
large mulberry trees get. The other thing is that some of the trunk
branches are silvery, almost like a beech tree, of which there are many in
the area.
http://tinyurl.com/ebeyn

The reason I have to be sure is that I want to prune some branches for some
exotic pets, and mulberry and crabapple are OK for them. They chew on the
bark of certain trees, but other trees such as oak and cherry can be toxic
to them. They're here, fwiw: http://tinyurl.com/4cnhy

That about covers it. I'd really appreciate any opinions or advice.

Thanks,
dwhite

I don't see any mulberry trees there. The first one looks like a
cottonwood or something in that family. The 3rd one could be the same
thing from what I can see.
The crabapple might be correct. The close up views of the leaves look
like apple leaves. If you go back and can find a fruit again, cut it in
half across the middle. If it has the 5 compartments with seeds, like a
big apple, you have a winner.

Steve