Old 12-10-2006, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default growing a tree from a cone

On 12/10/06 17:31, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote :

My neighbour has a tree which is quite fabulous in Autumn, bright red
/orange foliage etc. We don't know what it is, but it is not a Jap.
Maple.
It has cones at the end of its branches.

If I plant one of its cones will it grow into a new tree ?

It might. One would normally plant the seed from the cone but it can
take a while to germinate.

Sounds as if this could be a Liquidambar, I think.

They certainly do make a good show come autumn especially when big, but
they don't have cones as such, their fruit look rather like that of a conker
tree, round and covered in spikes.

It was the remark that it's not a Japanese maple that made me think because
it sounded as if the leaf shape had made them explore that possibility.

I suspect a female Rhus typhina in which case don't think about planting one
they will eventually spread everywhere by sending up new growth from surface
roots. We had to remove/poison ours, it was coming up everywhere including a
neighbours garden the other side of our drive.

Seconded! And isn't it rather toxic as to sap, too?

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk