Old 11-10-2006, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
KK KK is offline

Default growing a tree from a cone

Hello

My neighbour has a tree which is quite fabulous in Autumn, bright red
/orange foliage etc. We don't know what it is, but it is not a Jap. Maple.
It has cones at the end of its branches.

If I plant one of its cones will it grow into a new tree ?

Thanks

KK

Old 11-10-2006, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

KK wrote:
Hello

My neighbour has a tree which is quite fabulous in Autumn, bright red
/orange foliage etc. We don't know what it is, but it is not a Jap. Maple.
It has cones at the end of its branches.

If I plant one of its cones will it grow into a new tree ?

Thanks

It might. One would normally plant the seed from the cone but it can
take a while to germinate.

Old 11-10-2006, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

KK wrote:
Hello

My neighbour has a tree which is quite fabulous in Autumn, bright red
/orange foliage etc. We don't know what it is, but it is not a Jap. Maple.
It has cones at the end of its branches.
If I plant one of its cones will it grow into a new tree ?
Thanks

Check this picture. It's a Rhus typhinia or sumach 'stag's horn''. Is
that what you saw?
http://cjoint.com/?klpGhtEruR

Old 12-10-2006, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

KK wrote:
Yes - that's it - thanks - can I propagate a new one?

Marvelous! There's always been a rhus in my life )

Rhus usually sends suckers, if not you will be more successful by doing
it via root cuttings. The 'cones' you mention are flower heads. Many of
the roots are quite shallow (I'm forever finding one in my bed, garden
bed that is ...). If your neighbour's tree is in a lawn, he/she might
get a bit upset you starting digging roots ... I would suggest you get
yourself a sucker from it, if there's one and do this in the spring.
Carelully dig it out by keeping the main tap root and cut it from the
main plant. Alternatively, offer yourself your own plant they are not
that expensive, slow growing and quite ideal in lil' gardens.

Old 12-10-2006, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote :

My neighbour has a tree which is quite fabulous in Autumn, bright red
/orange foliage etc. We don't know what it is, but it is not a Jap.
Maple.
It has cones at the end of its branches.

If I plant one of its cones will it grow into a new tree ?

It might. One would normally plant the seed from the cone but it can
take a while to germinate.

Sounds as if this could be a Liquidambar, I think.

They certainly do make a good show come autumn especially when big, but
they don't have cones as such, their fruit look rather like that of a conker
tree, round and covered in spikes.

I suspect a female Rhus typhina in which case don't think about planting one
they will eventually spread everywhere by sending up new growth from surface
roots. We had to remove/poison ours, it was coming up everywhere including a
neighbours garden the other side of our drive.
--
Regards
Bob H

Old 16-10-2006, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:

I suspect a female Rhus typhina in which case don't think about planting one
they will eventually spread everywhere by sending up new growth from surface
roots. We had to remove/poison ours, it was coming up everywhere including a
neighbours garden the other side of our drive.

You murderer you!!! ;o)

But if KK hasn't seen any suckers yet, he/she will never see them. Or
will he/she?! Asuming that it's male (the tree not the poster) would
you cut off a bit of root and root it that way? I'd buy one myself ... !

Old 16-10-2006, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

It was the remark that it's not a Japanese maple that made me think because
it sounded as if the leaf shape had made them explore that possibility.

I suspect a female Rhus typhina in which case don't think about planting one
they will eventually spread everywhere by sending up new growth from surface
roots. We had to remove/poison ours, it was coming up everywhere including a
neighbours garden the other side of our drive.

Seconded! And isn't it rather toxic as to sap, too?

I just planted one of those, donated kindly by my neighbour - I really
like the looks of them. I had read that the sap of some rhuses was
toxic, but I understood the staghorn's less so? Am I wrong in that?

Cat(h)

Watering cone set clearance TOM KAN PA Gardening 0 10-08-2004 08:26 PM
-cone flowers- Enuf Gardening 31 16-11-2003 03:02 AM
NEED HELP - Unidentified gymnosperm cone Louise Plant Science 4 26-04-2003 01:31 PM
NEED HELP - Unidentified gymnosperm cone Louise Plant Science 4 03-04-2003 11:44 PM
NEED HELP - Big gymnosperm cone unidentified Louise Plant Biology 1 03-04-2003 06:44 AM