Old 13-10-2006, 10:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz Pat Kiewicz is offline

Default Garlic questions

Netter said:

Right about in the middle of New York state.

When is the best time to plant garlic cloves?

I'm in southeast Michigan, and I plan to plant my garlic this weekend.

This year I harvested some but the head's outer skin was broken in places.

The garlic is good but does not look as good as the ones in stores.

Any suggestion on how I can make the skins on the heads look better?

It's important to harvest the garlic while some leaves are still green to
get well wrapped bulbs.

Hang or lay out to dry in a sheltered, airy place. (Don't leave them
out in the sun.)

My garlic usually is ready to harvest in July.

(attributed to Don Marti)