Old 13-10-2006, 12:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Garlic questions

Right about in the middle of New York state.

When is the best time to plant garlic cloves?

This year I harvested some but the head's outer skin was broken in places.

The garlic is good but does not look as good as the ones in stores.

Any suggestion on how I can make the skins on the heads look better?

Thanks

Old 13-10-2006, 04:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 19:08:01 -0400, " Netter"
wrote:

Right about in the middle of New York state.

When is the best time to plant garlic cloves?

We plant ours (Syracuse) in November. They all come up, and do OK.
Size is variable, and mostly not as big as the farmers' market ones, but
good enough.

George
Old 13-10-2006, 10:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Netter said:

Right about in the middle of New York state.

When is the best time to plant garlic cloves?

I'm in southeast Michigan, and I plan to plant my garlic this weekend.

This year I harvested some but the head's outer skin was broken in places.

The garlic is good but does not look as good as the ones in stores.

Any suggestion on how I can make the skins on the heads look better?

It's important to harvest the garlic while some leaves are still green to
get well wrapped bulbs.

Hang or lay out to dry in a sheltered, airy place. (Don't leave them
out in the sun.)

My garlic usually is ready to harvest in July.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 13-10-2006, 03:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

" Netter" wrote:

Right about in the middle of New York state.

When is the best time to plant garlic cloves?

Now through November (I'm in the hills west of Albany)

This year I harvested some but the head's outer skin was broken in places.

You harvested too late and the wrappers were deteriorating. About half the
tops should still be green when you harvest.

The garlic is good but does not look as good as the ones in stores.

See above

Garlic is the worst of both worlds; a heavy feeder and a poor competitor.
Give it your best soil and keep well weeded. Do as I say, not as I do!

Some basics on my personal web page, in the .sig below.

Old 13-10-2006, 05:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Gary Woods wrote:

Garlic is the worst of both worlds; a heavy feeder and a poor competitor.
Give it your best soil and keep well weeded. Do as I say, not as I do!

Not entirely true. pH tolerant, less thirsty than many vegetables,
excellent companion plant for many vegetables. If you interplant with
lettuce or mulch after the spears are one foot high there will be no
weeding.

Old 13-10-2006, 05:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

Right about in the middle of New York state.

When is the best time to plant garlic cloves?

We plant ours (Syracuse) in November. They all come up, and do OK.
Size is variable, and mostly not as big as the farmers' market ones, but
good enough.

George

Poughkeepsie, NY here - just put mine in this morning

--
Steve
Old 13-10-2006, 10:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

Right about in the middle of New York state.

When is the best time to plant garlic cloves?

We plant ours (Syracuse) in November. They all come up, and do OK.
Size is variable, and mostly not as big as the farmers' market ones,
but
good enough.

George

Poughkeepsie, NY here - just put mine in this morning

--
Steve

Fergus, Ontario

Put ours in last week.

--
My Word
in

Old 13-10-2006, 10:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

MY WORD wrote:

Poughkeepsie, NY here - just put mine in this morning

--
Steve

Fergus, Ontario

Put ours in last week.

I was late this year by about 2 weeks. I usually like them
to have sprouted 2 inches or so before the cold weather
really hits. Some may question that but every year that I've
done it I've gotten larger and stronger garlic for some
reason. Don't ask me to explain it, 'cause I can't.

--
Steve

Old 15-10-2006, 12:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 17:27:11 -0400, Steve Calvin
wrote:

MY WORD wrote:

Poughkeepsie, NY here - just put mine in this morning

--
Steve

Fergus, Ontario

Put ours in last week.

I was late this year by about 2 weeks. I usually like them
to have sprouted 2 inches or so before the cold weather
really hits. Some may question that but every year that I've
done it I've gotten larger and stronger garlic for some
reason. Don't ask me to explain it, 'cause I can't.

How cold does it get? Do you have consistent snow cover?

Old 15-10-2006, 02:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

MY WORD wrote:

Poughkeepsie, NY here - just put mine in this morning

--
Steve
Fergus, Ontario

Put ours in last week.

I was late this year by about 2 weeks. I usually like them
to have sprouted 2 inches or so before the cold weather
really hits. Some may question that but every year that I've
done it I've gotten larger and stronger garlic for some
reason. Don't ask me to explain it, 'cause I can't.

How cold does it get? Do you have consistent snow cover?

We can get to -10 to -15dF but it's not usually that cold.
As for snow cover, it depends on the year. Sometimes we
never see the "grass" all winter and other years the snow
comes and goes.

--
Steve
Old 15-10-2006, 06:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

MY WORD wrote:

Poughkeepsie, NY here - just put mine in this morning

--
Steve

Fergus, Ontario

Put ours in last week.

I was late this year by about 2 weeks. I usually like them to have
sprouted 2 inches or so before the cold weather really hits. Some may
question that but every year that I've done it I've gotten larger and
stronger garlic for some reason. Don't ask me to explain it, 'cause I
can't.

--
Steve

Well I'm glad we got ours in. We had snow friday and Saturday. Not nice
to plant in.

Old 15-10-2006, 06:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

MY WORD wrote:

Poughkeepsie, NY here - just put mine in this morning

--
Steve

Fergus, Ontario

Put ours in last week.

I was late this year by about 2 weeks. I usually like them
to have sprouted 2 inches or so before the cold weather
really hits. Some may question that but every year that I've
done it I've gotten larger and stronger garlic for some
reason. Don't ask me to explain it, 'cause I can't.

How cold does it get? Do you have consistent snow cover?

You can see Fergus on this map. We are 5a

http://www.gardenmaking.com/zonemap.shtml

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
more garlic questions harry411 Edible Gardening 0 05-03-2004 12:40 AM
questions on garlic Therefore United Kingdom 3 03-04-2003 11:44 PM