Old 13-10-2006, 03:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Gary Woods Gary Woods is offline

Default Garlic questions

" Netter" wrote:

Right about in the middle of New York state.

When is the best time to plant garlic cloves?

Now through November (I'm in the hills west of Albany)

This year I harvested some but the head's outer skin was broken in places.

You harvested too late and the wrappers were deteriorating. About half the
tops should still be green when you harvest.

The garlic is good but does not look as good as the ones in stores.

See above

Garlic is the worst of both worlds; a heavy feeder and a poor competitor.
Give it your best soil and keep well weeded. Do as I say, not as I do!

Some basics on my personal web page, in the .sig below.