Old 13-10-2006, 09:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dan White Dan White is offline

Default Tree ID Needed

"Steve" wrote in message
Dan White wrote:
........................... Are you saying that these
definitely are not mulberry trees?

Yeah. I've never seen a mulberry get anywhere near that big. There is
more than one species of mulberry but the ones I know have leaves with a
variable shape. For example, like this:
http://www.sfrc.ufl.edu/4h/RedMulber...rryLeafWeb.jpg
I would suppose there are some with leaves all the same. Let me grab my
tree book and see if it lists a maximum height....
The Red Mulberry, native to most of the eastern US seems to be the
tallest at up to 66 feet.

I just went back and looked at your pictures again. I just don't see
anything there that reminds me of mulberry. To be honest though, they
don't look exactly like cotton wood or poplar either, which was my first
thought. I'll try to give this more thought in the next day or two.

Thanks. The leaves do kind of look like the leftmost one in your pics, but
they are all the same. There is a mulberry tree in my father's yard that
fruits every year. Those leaves are not all that variable. There is some
variability, but not much. So not being a tree expert, I thought that maybe
after mulberry trees get to a certain size their properties change. I have
read that they stop producing fruit after awhile, too.

dwhite