Old 14-10-2006, 06:59 AM posted to aus.gardens
RooBoy RooBoy is offline

Default Mango tree question

"Rob" wrote in message
I have a Mango growing in Perth. It's a couple of years old and is growing
well, except that it is growing straight up with no side branches at all.
It is close to 160 cm now and still going straight up.
I realise it will grow into a big tree but why no side shoots?
Will it eventually sprout out side shoots or does one have to pinch off
the top at some stage to encourage it to branch out.
Greatful for any clues.

Rob

My advice is cut off the top but not savagely and you will find next season
it will bulk up on the sides, do this around February,

I have three very large Mango Trees and although I live in Central
Queensland it worked for me
\

Regards

Rob also