Old 14-10-2006, 04:18 AM posted to aus.gardens
Rob Rob is offline

Default Mango tree question

I have a Mango growing in Perth. It's a couple of years old and is growing
well, except that it is growing straight up with no side branches at all. It
is close to 160 cm now and still going straight up.
I realise it will grow into a big tree but why no side shoots?
Will it eventually sprout out side shoots or does one have to pinch off the
top at some stage to encourage it to branch out.
Greatful for any clues.

Rob

Old 14-10-2006, 06:59 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Rob" wrote in message
I have a Mango growing in Perth. It's a couple of years old and is growing
well, except that it is growing straight up with no side branches at all.
It is close to 160 cm now and still going straight up.
I realise it will grow into a big tree but why no side shoots?
Will it eventually sprout out side shoots or does one have to pinch off
the top at some stage to encourage it to branch out.
Greatful for any clues.

Rob

My advice is cut off the top but not savagely and you will find next season
it will bulk up on the sides, do this around February,

I have three very large Mango Trees and although I live in Central
Queensland it worked for me
\

Regards

Rob also

Old 14-10-2006, 02:47 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Rob" wrote in message
I have a Mango growing in Perth. It's a couple of years old and is growing
well, except that it is growing straight up with no side branches at all.
It is close to 160 cm now and still going straight up.
I realise it will grow into a big tree but why no side shoots?
Will it eventually sprout out side shoots or does one have to pinch off
the top at some stage to encourage it to branch out.
Greatful for any clues.

Rob

I have a mango here (Dianella) that is a pot escapee. That is it is still in
the pot but most of it roots are in the ground. It is 6 years old now and
is flowering seriously for the first time. It is a good shape and has never
been pruned. I will try to remove the pot sometime soon and mound up the
soil a bit.

Mine is a Kensington Pride reputably the only one to grow well in the Perth
metro area. Other varieties supposedly don't like the cold winters, don't
get enough humidity and may need another mango to be its pollinator.

My thoughts are that you are a few years off fruit and any pruning now would
be detrimental to the mangos growth.

Cheers

Richard

Old 14-10-2006, 06:07 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day rob,

yeh cut a bit of the top out, it wouldn't hurt to let it go to a
couple of meters, but tip pruning will make it branch.

up here a seedling can fruit at that height.

len

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 03:18:38 GMT, "Rob"
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.gardenlen.com
Old 15-10-2006, 04:43 AM posted to aus.gardens
Rob Rob is offline

Thanks for the advice. It is a Kensington pride.
Consensus seems to be to chop off the tip which will encourage branching
before it gets too tall.
I found a web page on how it's done in Darwin so will follow those
instructions and hopefully get 3 branches.
Thanks
Rob

https://transact.nt.gov.au/ebiz/dbird/TechPublications.nsf/96F3653E1D14CA0D692571E7004D1207/$file/598.pdf?OpenElement