Old 13-10-2006, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham Charlie Pridham is offline

Default Virginia creeper

"Rob graham" wrote in message
I have a Parthenocissus quinquefolia which I planted when it was about

three
foot high in order to climb up a shiplap wall which has been painted with
black
Sadolin.

The creeper refuses to anchor itself to the wood. It produces its little
'feet' to grab with but they never take hold and the only way I can get it
to grow upwards is to put wire across in its path.

Do you think the Sadolin is something it doesn't like or is there some

other
problem?

Rob Graham

It will normally glue itself to a rough surface but I find the weight of the
plant often pulls it off and it is better in a hedge or large shrub. P.
tricuspidata is a better bet for a flat surface and there are a number of
good named clones that are not to rampageous!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk