Old 13-10-2006, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Virginia creeper

I have a Parthenocissus quinquefolia which I planted when it was about three
foot high in order to climb up a shiplap wall which has been painted with
black
Sadolin.

The creeper refuses to anchor itself to the wood. It produces its little
'feet' to grab with but they never take hold and the only way I can get it
to grow upwards is to put wire across in its path.

Do you think the Sadolin is something it doesn't like or is there some other
problem?

Rob Graham

Old 13-10-2006, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rob graham" wrote in message
I have a Parthenocissus quinquefolia which I planted when it was about

three
foot high in order to climb up a shiplap wall which has been painted with
black
Sadolin.

The creeper refuses to anchor itself to the wood. It produces its little
'feet' to grab with but they never take hold and the only way I can get it
to grow upwards is to put wire across in its path.

Do you think the Sadolin is something it doesn't like or is there some

other
problem?

Rob Graham

It will normally glue itself to a rough surface but I find the weight of the
plant often pulls it off and it is better in a hedge or large shrub. P.
tricuspidata is a better bet for a flat surface and there are a number of
good named clones that are not to rampageous!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 13-10-2006, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rob graham wrote:
I have a Parthenocissus quinquefolia which I planted when it was about three
foot high in order to climb up a shiplap wall which has been painted with
black
Sadolin.
The creeper refuses to anchor itself to the wood. It produces its little
'feet' to grab with but they never take hold and the only way I can get it
to grow upwards is to put wire across in its path.
Do you think the Sadolin is something it doesn't like or is there some other
problem?

Sadolin is safe for birds - I'd imagine it's not a problem for plants
and the shiplap should be ok because we have some at the back and a few
cuttings from our plants have settled there pretty well. Our virginia
creeper not always hooks itself on the fence of the front garden though
(10m long), sometimes it hangs there and then attached itself further
along. Is it a new plant? It takes a while to establish and then
there's nothing to stop it!

Old 14-10-2006, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
It will normally glue itself to a rough surface but I find the weight of
the
plant often pulls it off and it is better in a hedge or large shrub. P.
tricuspidata is a better bet for a flat surface and there are a number of
good named clones that are not to rampageous!
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.

I sometime "jest" to my other half that we don't live in a house - we live
in a plant. The house is engulfed by Virginia Creepers. While it does look
lovely, especially now as it is turning deep red, it has a tendency to get
everywhere including the guttering and into the roof space. We would have no
doors or windows were it not for a bit of pruning. There is a large bell
outside the front door - we didn't discover that until last Winter when the
leaves fell. That said, we wouldn't be without it, nor would the numerous
house sparrows that live and roost in it. After it has shed its leaves, the
house looked quite naked over Winter. Don't know what variety it is though.
--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk

Old 14-10-2006, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...

Rob graham wrote:
[...]

Yes, it was newly planted in April (about three foor high). It's growing
well - just doesn't seem to want to attach itself to the wall.

Rob

Old 14-10-2006, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rob graham" wrote in message

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...

Rob graham wrote:
[...]

Try those small brown cable clips, the ones with a masonry pin and plastic
clip, pin the stems to the surface, you will find once the wind and weather
can no longer move them the new growth will attach. old growth will no
re-attach.

Old 14-10-2006, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rob graham wrote:
Yes, it was newly planted in April (about three foor high). It's growing
well - just doesn't seem to want to attach itself to the wall.

Is it perhaps too shaded. I'm asking that because bits of ours which
sometimes end up under a rose floribonda, seek sunshine and therefore
grow into space trying to find the sun and somewhere to hook itself. I
wouldn't worry until next spring. Give it a chance )

Old 14-10-2006, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Rob graham wrote:
Yes, it was newly planted in April (about three foor high). It's growing
well - just doesn't seem to want to attach itself to the wall.

Is it perhaps too shaded. I'm asking that because bits of ours which
sometimes end up under a rose floribonda, seek sunshine and therefore
grow into space trying to find the sun and somewhere to hook itself. I
wouldn't worry until next spring. Give it a chance )

No, it's certainly not too shaded. The wall faces south and is in sunshine
most of the day.

But as you say, see what happens in the spring. It won't be doing too much
growing now for a while and maybe it'll be better then. hanks for your
input.

Rob

Old 16-10-2006, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Try those small brown cable clips, the ones with a masonry pin and plastic
clip, pin the stems to the surface, you will find once the wind and
weather
can no longer move them the new growth will attach. old growth will no
re-attach.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.

Yes. they might be the answer.