Old 14-10-2006, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rob graham Rob graham is offline

Default Virginia creeper

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...

Rob graham wrote:
I have a Parthenocissus quinquefolia which I planted when it was about
three
foot high in order to climb up a shiplap wall which has been painted with
black
Sadolin.
The creeper refuses to anchor itself to the wood. It produces its little
'feet' to grab with but they never take hold and the only way I can get
it
to grow upwards is to put wire across in its path.
Do you think the Sadolin is something it doesn't like or is there some
other
problem?

Sadolin is safe for birds - I'd imagine it's not a problem for plants
and the shiplap should be ok because we have some at the back and a few
cuttings from our plants have settled there pretty well. Our virginia
creeper not always hooks itself on the fence of the front garden though
(10m long), sometimes it hangs there and then attached itself further
along. Is it a new plant? It takes a while to establish and then
there's nothing to stop it!

Yes, it was newly planted in April (about three foor high). It's growing
well - just doesn't seem to want to attach itself to the wall.

Rob