Old 15-10-2006, 04:43 AM posted to aus.gardens
Rob Rob is offline

Default Mango tree question

Thanks for the advice. It is a Kensington pride.
Consensus seems to be to chop off the tip which will encourage branching
before it gets too tall.
I found a web page on how it's done in Darwin so will follow those
instructions and hopefully get 3 branches.
Thanks
Rob

https://transact.nt.gov.au/ebiz/dbird/TechPublications.nsf/96F3653E1D14CA0D692571E7004D1207/$file/598.pdf?OpenElement

"Rob" wrote in message
I have a Mango growing in Perth. It's a couple of years old and is growing
well, except that it is growing straight up with no side branches at all.
It is close to 160 cm now and still going straight up.
I realise it will grow into a big tree but why no side shoots?
Will it eventually sprout out side shoots or does one have to pinch off
the top at some stage to encourage it to branch out.
Greatful for any clues.

Rob