Old 16-10-2006, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default I've asked this before...

Phil L wrote:
..and didn't get a definitive answer, so I'm asking again.

I have noticed in farmers fields, huge piles of what appears to be a
blueish/greyish stone, I work in the construction industry and to me
it looks like MOT, or crush & run, but blue.
Upon closer inspection (IE picking it up) it has no odour, feels like
soft stone and the 'stones' range from 3 inch down to grit.
The piles of this I have seen in various (crop growing) feilds range
from 50 to 100 tonnes, and the farmers spread it over the entire
field round about this time of year....last time I asked, it was
suggested that the farmers were having drives laid or tracks for farm
machinery to drive on, since I've recently seen it being spread, I
know this is not the case, I cannot believe that it's for any kind of
drainage neither and I imagine it's fertilizer of some sort, has
anyone else seen this? - does anyone know what it does or what it's
called?

TIA

don't know, but it has no odour at all, it was being spread on crop fields,
almost all the fields around here are crops, very few animals.
Lime is a slight possibility, but would a farmer want stones, some as big as
a fist, spread on his land?
The colour of it is blue/white...more white than blue, if you know what I
mean, just a slight blue tinge to it.
The heaps of it are massive, easily 60 tonnes on a ten acre field....I'll
have to take some photos next W/E and post them somewhere, I don't know any
farmers to ask, the only one I do know is a pig farmer and he doesn't grow
anything, apart from bacon!