Old 15-10-2006, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I've asked this before...

...and didn't get a definitive answer, so I'm asking again.

I have noticed in farmers fields, huge piles of what appears to be a
blueish/greyish stone, I work in the construction industry and to me it
looks like MOT, or crush & run, but blue.
Upon closer inspection (IE picking it up) it has no odour, feels like soft
stone and the 'stones' range from 3 inch down to grit.
The piles of this I have seen in various (crop growing) feilds range from 50
to 100 tonnes, and the farmers spread it over the entire field round about
this time of year....last time I asked, it was suggested that the farmers
were having drives laid or tracks for farm machinery to drive on, since I've
recently seen it being spread, I know this is not the case, I cannot believe
that it's for any kind of drainage neither and I imagine it's fertilizer of
some sort, has anyone else seen this? - does anyone know what it does or
what it's called?

TIA

Old 15-10-2006, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Phil L" wrote in message
.uk...
[...]

Could it be lime / limestone? I know farmers used to get slaked lime
(Calcium Hydroxide) delivered and spread by huge lorries. Perhaps this is a
modern version?
--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk

Old 15-10-2006, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Phil L" wrote
[...]

Dried treated sewage solids perhaps?

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 15-10-2006, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Phil L" wrote in message
.uk...
[...]

Nitro chalk

michael adams

TIA

Old 15-10-2006, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nitro chalk

michael adams

I very much doubt it. If it's in good condition it would be in bags to keep
it dry and the granules would be much smaller than 3 inches - more like
eighth of an inch.

Rob Graham

Old 15-10-2006, 11:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
"Phil L" wrote in message

[...]

Aggie lime is white (or aleast the stuff we use is). I'm wondering if
it could be human manure (dried, pulverized, processed) and colured
blue so it can't be used inadvertently for cropping fields?????? I
know it is around and used now in agriculture but not sure of how or
where and since I'm in a different country I don't know what's
available in the UK.

Old 16-10-2006, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message

"Phil L" wrote in message

[...]

what are the practises in Aus for doing this?

rob

Old 16-10-2006, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote
"Phil L" wrote
..and didn't get a definitive answer, so I'm asking again.
I have noticed in farmers fields, huge piles of what appears to be a
blueish/greyish stone, I work in the construction industry and to me
it looks like MOT, or crush & run, but blue.
Upon closer inspection (IE picking it up) it has no odour, feels like
soft stone and the 'stones' range from 3 inch down to grit.

snip

Dried treated sewage solids perhaps?

Which they euphemistically call "bio-solids" for a better marketing
image. ;-)

It's used around here on agricultural land. My Other Half reckons it has
a distinctive, but not particularly bad, smell - "If it was over that
hedge you'd know it was there". Phil's mystery stuff was odourless but
perhaps different treatment processes make a more deodorised end
product.
--
Sue

Old 16-10-2006, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rob graham" wrote in message

Nitro chalk

michael adams

I very much doubt it. If it's in good condition it would be in bags to

keep
it dry and the granules would be much smaller than 3 inches - more like
eighth of an inch.

Rob Graham

Nitrophoska? It comes in blue. Probably not that big in lumps however.

rob

Old 16-10-2006, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Phil L" wrote in message

[...]

I know that it's used on pine plantations but other than that I don't
know anything about it.

Old 16-10-2006, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Phil L wrote:
[...]

don't know, but it has no odour at all, it was being spread on crop fields,
almost all the fields around here are crops, very few animals.
Lime is a slight possibility, but would a farmer want stones, some as big as
a fist, spread on his land?
The colour of it is blue/white...more white than blue, if you know what I
mean, just a slight blue tinge to it.
The heaps of it are massive, easily 60 tonnes on a ten acre field....I'll
have to take some photos next W/E and post them somewhere, I don't know any
farmers to ask, the only one I do know is a pig farmer and he doesn't grow
anything, apart from bacon!

Old 16-10-2006, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Phil L" wrote
I don't know, but it has no odour at all, it was being spread on crop
fields, almost all the fields around here are crops, very few animals.
Lime is a slight possibility, but would a farmer want stones, some as
big as a fist, spread on his land? snip

Are you in a beet growing area? If it weren't for these 'stones' I'd
think you might be talking about the lime sludge left over from
sugar-beet processing which gets re-used on agricultural land. You do
see that in great big heaps on fields before spreading.

--
Sue

Old 11-12-2006, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Phil L" wrote
[...]

Slough distribute something they call 'cinagro'!

Alan

--
Regards
Bob H

Have I asked this before? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 2 21-06-2006 08:15 PM
It's probably been asked before, but:- Alan Holmes United Kingdom 1 14-05-2005 12:12 PM
It's probably been asked before, but:- Alan Holmes United Kingdom 5 14-05-2005 10:26 AM
Sequoia Feedback asked Theo Bonsai 0 14-07-2003 06:23 AM
Two Questions.... Sorry If They've Been Asked Before Wayne Ponds 12 03-07-2003 05:32 PM