Old 17-10-2006, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Rose "Prince Igor"

On 17/10/06 05:23, in article
, "Farm1"
please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

Thanks Sacha. That makes sense as the nursery that supplied the
plants for my garden for the original owners of my garden were

heavily
into Meillands. And it IS red, just as I thought with a name like
that
:-))

Meilland developed the lovely Peace rose and if you haven't read the

book
For Love of a Rose, I think you'd enjoy it very much.

Funny you should mention that, a friend has been trying to lend it to
me for ages! I've been saying 'no' as all I can cope with at the
moment is Lilian Beckwith and Miss Read. I'm still a bit Chemo fog
brained to read anything else.

Funny - I had a 'Miss Read' phase the other day, prompted by the grand
daughter having a teacher called Miss Read! Amazing how 'cosy' that world
was but it really did exist and I think it a pity it's gone. I haven't read
Lilian Beckwith for yonks but I loved that affectionate and gentle look at
another way of life. Janet B might enjoy those, if she hasn't read them
already. Somewhat along the same lines - or perhaps just the overall 'feel'
of her books - I enjoy Maeve Binchy as entertaining reads.
I think you'd find For Love of a Rose fairly undemanding in terms of highs
and lows of emotion and it's not a book you have to 'study'.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk