Old 17-10-2006, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
neilr neilr is offline

Default "Azada" alternative to spades, anyone?

"David D Stretch" wrote in
message -hctertsdd...
My Chinese relatives normally use a different kind of digging tool than
the
typical kind of spade that most people in the UK would use. I was
persuaded
by them to buy one. After a struggle, during which I thought I would have
to import one from China, I found one place which sold them in the UK
under
a Spanish name of "Azada" - We do not seem to have any English name for
the
implement.

The site I found is he http://tinyurl.com/zrou4

Using it, I find it is much more quick, comfortable, and easy to use, and
no longer seem to suffer so much back ache as I used to when digging a
large amount of land over.

However, we have recently taken on an allotment, and my wife (who is
Chinese) has caused some curiosity when she has been using our azada to
dig
over the land whilst I am off sick with bronchitis. It seems that no one
on
the allotments we are on has heard of this tool, though some say they may
have seen something like it in shots of farming in Asia or Africa. Someone
suggested it is just a variation of a Mattock, but I'm not sure it is.

So, my question is: does anyone else reading this group use this kind of
tool, and, if so, do they, like we do, find it is more comfortable to use
than the more normal spade? If so, is there a more English name for them
that you know of?

I'm not associated with the manufacturers or sellers of azadas, but I am a
very happy user of one.

A useful tool I imagine and an interesting name. Similar in shape to a
timber working/shaping tool - the Adze - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adze
Sounds like the name 'Adaza' may be derived from 'Adze' - or vice versa.

Neil