Old 17-10-2006, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default "Azada" alternative to spades, anyone?

"David D Stretch" wrote in
message -hctertsdd...
My Chinese relatives normally use a different kind of digging tool than
the
typical kind of spade that most people in the UK would use. I was
persuaded
by them to buy one. After a struggle, during which I thought I would have
to import one from China, I found one place which sold them in the UK
under
a Spanish name of "Azada" - We do not seem to have any English name for
the
implement.

The site I found is he http://tinyurl.com/zrou4

Using it, I find it is much more quick, comfortable, and easy to use, and
no longer seem to suffer so much back ache as I used to when digging a
large amount of land over.

However, we have recently taken on an allotment, and my wife (who is
Chinese) has caused some curiosity when she has been using our azada to
dig
over the land whilst I am off sick with bronchitis. It seems that no one
on
the allotments we are on has heard of this tool, though some say they may
have seen something like it in shots of farming in Asia or Africa. Someone
suggested it is just a variation of a Mattock, but I'm not sure it is.

So, my question is: does anyone else reading this group use this kind of
tool, and, if so, do they, like we do, find it is more comfortable to use
than the more normal spade? If so, is there a more English name for them
that you know of?

I'm not associated with the manufacturers or sellers of azadas, but I am a
very happy user of one.

A useful tool I imagine and an interesting name. Similar in shape to a
timber working/shaping tool - the Adze - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adze
Sounds like the name 'Adaza' may be derived from 'Adze' - or vice versa.

Neil

Old 17-10-2006, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

neilr wrote:
A useful tool I imagine and an interesting name. Similar in shape to a
timber working/shaping tool - the Adze - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adze
Sounds like the name 'Adaza' may be derived from 'Adze' - or vice versa.

In france we call it 'beche' or une 'binette'.

Old 17-10-2006, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

La Puce wrote:
neilr wrote:
A useful tool I imagine and an interesting name. Similar in shape to a
timber working/shaping tool - the Adze - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adze
Sounds like the name 'Adaza' may be derived from 'Adze' - or vice versa.

In france we call it 'beche' or une 'binette'.

The beche is the larger bladed implement. At home, we used to call it
a beche or a houe. , The binette the one with a small blade in front,
and two spikes in the back - as they appear on the website posted by
the OP.
These are the implements we used in the garden when I was a kid, to dig
planting trenches or weed (the binette for the latter job, or for
smaller trenches). I had to come to Ireland to discover the dutch hoe
and other such weeding implements.

Cat(h)

Old 17-10-2006, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
ups.com...

La Puce wrote:
neilr wrote:
A useful tool I imagine and an interesting name. Similar in shape to a
timber working/shaping tool - the Adze -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adze
Sounds like the name 'Adaza' may be derived from 'Adze' - or vice
versa.

In france we call it 'beche' or une 'binette'.

The beche is the larger bladed implement. At home, we used to call it
a beche or a houe. , The binette the one with a small blade in front,
and two spikes in the back - as they appear on the website posted by
the OP.
These are the implements we used in the garden when I was a kid, to dig
planting trenches or weed (the binette for the latter job, or for
smaller trenches). I had to come to Ireland to discover the dutch hoe
and other such weeding implements.

or de bottle of roundup

Cat(h)

Old 17-10-2006, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Des Higgins wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote in message
ups.com...

La Puce wrote:
neilr wrote:
A useful tool I imagine and an interesting name. Similar in shape to a
timber working/shaping tool - the Adze -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adze
Sounds like the name 'Adaza' may be derived from 'Adze' - or vice
versa.

In france we call it 'beche' or une 'binette'.

The beche is the larger bladed implement. At home, we used to call it
a beche or a houe. , The binette the one with a small blade in front,
and two spikes in the back - as they appear on the website posted by
the OP.
These are the implements we used in the garden when I was a kid, to dig
planting trenches or weed (the binette for the latter job, or for
smaller trenches). I had to come to Ireland to discover the dutch hoe
and other such weeding implements.

or de bottle of roundup

Indeedy. Although the heady days of worshipping at the altar of the
evil Monsanto and dribbling roundup all around the house to get rid of
the jungle, or those of re-enacting the Kildare Debrousailleuse
Massacre are now well and truly over. Having planted plenty things I
care about, I have made friends with the dutch hoe, and my ten
fingers...
It's so easy to be environmentally responsible once you have slayn the
Evil Ground Elder.
Cat(h)

Old 18-10-2006, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Des Higgins wrote:
or de bottle of roundup

)) Go on... take the pith. I have a serious blister in my palm,
another one just under my wedding ring, sore legs and a strange back
which seem to be somebody else's body altogether. I'm battered, but
I've cleared about 5sqm of weeds yesterday afternoon and I'm proud to
have done it in this way. cringe

Azada?? Jack[_5_] Gardening 0 18-04-2007 12:38 AM
"Azada" alternative to spades, anyone? Paul United Kingdom 1 17-10-2006 11:01 PM
"Spearwell" spades David Rose United Kingdom 3 29-11-2003 03:05 PM
azada handle PA United Kingdom 2 30-07-2003 10:12 AM
Azada anyone? Mark Allison United Kingdom 2 05-07-2003 07:20 PM